460 distributor gear question. slip fit?

Bigstang1

Founding Member
Aug 28, 2002
Massachusettes
I just recieved an HEI conversion distributor that i ordered for my winter truck. (f350, 460 4bbl) i am replaceing it due to the vac and mech advance on current distribuot is all frozen and not working (read: no power) I have not removed the old distributor yet, but on the new dist, the gear that it came with is just a slip fit on the new dist. it doesnt fall off but i can easily pull it off with my hand. i always thought that these were pressed on. it is keyed and will not turn on the distribuor shaft and in theory should not go anyware once its on the oil pump drive. "Has anyone ever seen this before? should this be corrected before installing? thanks

• Sponsors (?)

This should be the same dist as a 351/400m, of which I have a spare, and the gear appeared to go on the same as any other, a light press fit with a rolled pin to hold it in place.

I'd ask before I installed it. You could put some Locktite Stud Locker on it when installing it.

Umm....no. Lol.

Never seen that befor,I know some manufacterious make differan size gears for differant size shafts.

Your saying its liek a woodruf key on a crankshaft and slinding a timing chain gear on,kinda like that?