460 mach system swap for aftermarket

striker805

May 26, 2008
I recently installed a aftermarket head unit to my 95 mustant gt. I then replaced all four 5x7 with the latest from alpine. When i crank the head unit up the speakers die. What can i do to replace the factory amps with aftermarket amps since it is already pre-wired. Also does anyone know who makes aftermarket 2.5 midrange tweeters i want to replace these also. HELP!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Been through this, and my advice is: Either run stock Mach 460, or go all aftermarket. Take out all the Mach 460 stuff and use aftermarket speakers mounted directly to the back dash, powered by aftermarket amps with an aftermarket power wire, Acc wire, and ground. The Mach 460 wiring is too dang complicated to use as wiring with aftermarket amps, and IMO not sufficient to power aftermarket amps. Someone else might have had better luck than me, but its not worth the headaches.

Edit: I think your Alpine speakers dont work because the Mach 460 uses the 5X7's as "bass" speakers, and no other sound is directed through them by the Mach 460 amps. You would have to wire the speakes directly to your head unit or to an aftermarket amp to get the correct sound out of them.

they could be cutting out like that because of fords lame OHM rating vs the standard OHM that most aftermarket speakers/amps/head units run.

do you have an aftermarket head unit? if so i would just wire the speakers directly to the HU. If you dont have an aftermarket HU and dont want to get one your other option is to pickup an amp and run all 4 speakers off of it

95BlueStallion is 100% correct on the Mach 460 system. The 460 speakers also function as a subwoofer of some sort, so you cannot just replace the speakers; you have to replace the whole system.

Personally, I don't find the Mach 460 to be that bad of a system. Add some Cascade Audio sound insulation to the doors and the sound clears up dramatically. :nice: