460 Suggestions

Drew88

Apr 10, 2012
I posted this same thread under mustang tech and realized maybe I was in the wrong section. I'm new to this site. I got a hold of an old 460 big block from a truck but it runs real rough. It definitely needs to be rebuilt. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a good street/ strip combo? Heads, cam, etc.. Coast high performance has some nice stroker kits I've been looking at. Just shopping around for now and getting some ideas. The motor is going in a 89 Mustang GT.. thanks guys!

Drew

• Sponsors (?)

I just dont get the 460 route if you arent looking to spend big bucks to make use of the big displacement. If you're willing to go that route more power to you, you may end up with a very quick BBF. but yank a 460 out of the JY and put it in a fox and you end up with a fox thats roughly as fast as the van/truck it came out of. Ive seen it over and over again.

I love BBF Foxes, but like Tanner said, you've gotta do it right to do it justice. There is probably not a lot of BBF knowledge around here, though I know the guys around here would love to see you do the swap and maybe offer advice on that end. As far as motor stuff goes though, you should check out 460ford.com or 429-460.com

We had a guy in our area that had a 91 Gt with a 460 and I have to say it looked cool at the cruise ins but he couldn't find a hood to fit that he liked and went through transmissions every couple thousand miles. Plus with anything but a full drag setup on the suspension the thing wouldn't hook up at all because it was so nose heavy. He always talked about selling it but was one of those guys naive enough to think he was gonna get out of the car what he put into it.

I appreciate all your input. I plan on doing this motor right. I'm not looking to do this overnight, I plan to pick away at it and save for good parts. No short cuts will be taken. I'm really interested in Kasse's p51 heads and the 514/521 stroker kit offered by coast high performance. I do realize I'm going to need some serious chassis work and a strong tranny. My plan is to redo the whole car before I even think about putting a motor that size in.

Love these swaps, but don't see a lot of them. Chevy guys put bbcs in everything and anything. Most Ford guys go with 351 based combos when they go big, and go just as quick. Have seen a couple with well built 460's that would run easy 10 seconds as a bracket car, but a couple others that had traction issues.

I love BBF Foxes, but like Tanner said, you've gotta do it right to do it justice. There is probably not a lot of BBF knowledge around here, though I know the guys around here would love to see you do the swap and maybe offer advice on that end. As far as motor stuff goes though, you should check out 460ford.com or 429-460.com
that or yellowbullet...