460 turbo ???

shttygtstang

Jun 2, 2004
well ive decided after all the time & money i spent and my block cracking . rather than getting a dart to get a 460 w/ a c6/ c4 ( undecided).
also iwaqs gunna go with a a demon 750 carb with a pressure hat of some type . not shure if thats what its called but its gives = perusere through out the whole carb so theres no need to set it up for a blow through aplication.
also i was gunna go with edelbrock cobra jet heads . victor intake blahblah blah
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/21.shtml

but heres the ? i have that site do you think its possible to plum a turbo the same way as the 302 into the fox

please critasize my setup also im shooting for somthing mild with this setup around 800hp at the wheels no more than 15 18 psi

• Sponsors (?)

Plumping a turbo on a 460 big block fox body will be a challenge. My father has a 510 (stroked 460) in his fox body (fairmont). He also has cobra jet heads, Custom Jet Hotted LT's, 1100 carb, etc, etc. I can tell you its a tight fight... and with the size of the plumbing that will be needed it will not be as easy as the 302 application.

Also, if this matters to you.. this engine is high compression 15:1 and makes every bit of the power you are looking for N/A. 6.03's @ 114 mph in the 1/8.

So, are you just looking for a boosted application? Or would a mild streetable 460 with a shot of giggle juice be alright with you too? Because that would be a much easier and more imaginable project.

ahhh i want some type of forced induction but n20 is my cup of tea

when he did the swap were the swap headers angled the same as the stockers?

what kind of carb is he using ??

He is using a Holley Dominator carb... I really couldn't tell you about the header angle... but they are custom so I'm sure there is a reason... something had to be done to it. Weather the angle was changed.. i dunno... I can ask him tomorrow because I will be visiting home... Might even be able to take some pics of his engine bay if you would like.

that would be great allways nice to know what you (im) getting into

also how did he achive that high of a C.R. did he shaved the block , done through the pistons , had the heads milled or a thinner head gasket?

also im taking it that a 750 carb would be wayyyyyy to small for what im thinking

also does he have ne dyno #s?

Yeah, Its always good to know what you are getting into.

As far as the Compression goes... its a combination of high compression pistons and milled heads I believe. Again, I can ask him that too to verify.

Yes, he has dyno #'s. And a Dyno vid... I love watching that thing.. he smoked the tires on the first 2 runs which kinda made them useless. I don't remember the exact HP he put down, but it was in the upper 700 range (750+)... He doesn't care much about HP though... he usually brags about his 800+ lbs of TQ :)

LOL, it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about.. all the *unsures*... But I've been messing around with my own car a lot.. and have moved away from home nearly 3 years ago. So I am starting to forget exact numbers of his car and stuff ya know?

Also, you should know (if you haven't already figured) My fathers set-up is NOT STREETABLE... it requires 115+ octane racing gas and probably gets gallons to the mile... Not to mention the fact that the thing can be heard from over 5 miles away. NO JOKE

well i belive ya since the 460 makes around 500 hp with 9.5 cr with cobra jet heads so i dont see y a 15 ta 1 stroked 460 wont make that
but please find out all ya could since i know jack abought these motors

poneypower89 said:
Also, you should know (if you haven't already figured) My fathers set-up is NOT STREETABLE... it requires 115+ octane racing gas and probably gets gallons to the mile... Not to mention the fact that the thing can be heard from over 5 miles away. NO JOKE

i figured he was running 103 octane minamul

Will do, Ill let the questions roll tomorrow. Ill try to take some pictures for you too. Im sure it would help you visualize how tight the fit is. Plumbing a turbo would be insane. Maybe you should consider a large roost top style blower? HA, that would be cool. You would look like some of the hotwheels i used to play with as a little kid... the ones with the huge engine sticking through the hood lol.

Yep, the is exact complaint my father has with his Fairmont right now. With all the hours he puts into work/family/and other projects he hardly ever gets to take his car out racing anymore. 5 years ago, he went racing every weekend... but now he devotes most his time to the little one and his weekend cruiser (67 Caprice 55,000 orginal miles 427 big block). He claims that if someone comes along with 20 g's the Fairmont will leave the garage and an Old muscle car (probably a 60's stang/torino/cougar) will take its place with a centrifical blower. (I think he got this idea after I let him drive my car after I installed the vortech... before he wanted an old roost top... but he likes how my blower sits under the stock hood and makes good power)

shttygtstng - get over on The Corral and shoot a PM to "Kim" - he runs an 18:1 big block that spins up into the 9K rpm range. He knows his big block stuff.

The 460 WEIGHS so much - why not get the block strength and extra cubes by stroking a 351 up around 400-427 cubes?

Put a CLeveland in it,that way you get a light small block with big block heads!

Or, you could do what Michael said.

Or, you could get the SVO 514 crate motor.

Or,you could get a rebuilt shortblock and put your own stuff on top.

Or,eh never mind.

Michael Yount said:
shttygtstng - get over on The Corral and shoot a PM to "Kim" - he runs an 18:1 big block that spins up into the 9K rpm range. He knows his big block stuff.

The 460 WEIGHS so much - why not get the block strength and extra cubes by stroking a 351 up around 400-427 cubes?

My thoughts exactly, especially if you're going to go with a turbo. You'll gain room for turbo plumbing and you won't miss the 33 or so cubes you'll lose from not having a 460....you'll make that up with a good tune.

The 460 is not that heavy. If you use aluminum heads and intake, relocate the battery, and use a mini starter, your weight is the same as a stock iron headed 302. As for the carb hat, that is its whole purpose, to be used for blowthrough supercharging/turbocharging. Its cheaper, easier and smaller than a carb box. You dont want 15:1 obviously because it wont run on the street. You can boost your 460 but nobody makes headers for that so you'd have to make your own. A lot of people say the plumbing for turbos is hard because the headers have to face forward, but then the exhaust has to go back through all that mess to get to the back. Little do people realize is that you can mount a muffler in the front and have the exhaust leave in front of your front tires. This saves weight, time and plumbing. Mount the turbos in the front and then have the exhaust dump down to a muffler with 2 ins and 2 outs. Also remember that a turbo acts like a muffler by killing alot of the exhaust sound and you could actually run straight out of the turbo. Doing one of these will ease the plumbing problems. I've put a 460 in a fox, and have also run a blowthrough stroker in the same car so I think I'm the most qualified person to answer your questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Michael Yount said:
Smock - if you do all that same stuff to a 302 or 351 - the 460 still WEIGHS too much....

micheal i was just thinking of block strenth, and like they say there no replacement for displacement.

but y should i be concered about all that weight.
also i dont wanna stroke a motor rite yet either

No crap it would weigh less, I'm not stupid. Most people here are running iron headed 302's so why are we comparing this. Even if the thing weighed 100 lbs more, who gives 2 ****s. Its only 100 lbs. You people make it seem like this thing weighs 8 tons. Its a big motor, in a small car, chill out. It DOES have street manners, it DOES corner just fine, it DOES get decent gas mileage. I'm so sick of people automatically saying "Dont do the big block because it weighs too much and it gets crappy gas mileage". Have you put a 460 in a fox? NO!!! So stop talking like you know what you are talking about. If you want to talk weight then ok, we shouldnt be using 302's then because a turbo 4 cylinder weighs less. Shut up, thats the only think you ever say when we talk 460s, weight. I know you know alot and I respect that, but this one topic you just need to stop posting about. When I see a Cuda with a stroked 750 horse Hemi in it, do you think I tell the guy, " Ya know, you should do a 318 because that Hemi just weighs too much ya know". Go ahead and put a turbo, cam, heads, intake and exhaust on a stock 302 and see how long it lasts. You take a 460 and put some good forged pistons on it and it will take a pounding. And after you lose the battery and use aluminum intake and heads, itll weigh close to the same weight. Besides, I think I could spare a hundred lbs if I was adding that much power. As for gas mileage, keep your foot out of the gas and it'll run decent seeing that its in a 3000 lb car. Yes, the 460 gets crap mileage but look what its in, 4x4 trucks and 5000 lb lincolns. I'm using a 5-speed with mine so I'm sure she'll manage 15 mpg. If someone wants to do something different on here, then let them. Stop sticking to the basics and telling people no when they should be hearing yes. The 302 is such a boring motor and anyone who uses nothing but a 302 has no imagination. Its bad enough we are all driving Mustangs because they are a dime a dozen.