460 turbo ???

sirsureshot39 said:
I see the f-303 camshaft in your sig..Did you know the Brent, a moderator on TM.com made 1100hp with a R-block 302, F-Cam,TFS Hi Port Heads, 88mm turbo, and a Home made turbo kit with a 750 carb...its his daily driver too....go for that BIG BLOCK, and watch the lil small block guys give u a run for your money.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/redirects/project.htm

ok i dont know what that means but .
not knocking the sbf but im not gunna spend 2200 on block and im tired of them splitting on me and theres no substitude for a dart so bbf is for me .

you kinnda sound mad i wanna go with a bigblock ????

• Sponsors (?)

65ShelbyClone said:
Because that carb enclosure is $1100 for the bare bones unit. It would obviously be cheaper, lighter, smaller, and easier in the long run to use a modified carb and hat.

Yep, nice 500-700$ CSU carb with a 200$ EV Carb hat and thats pretty much it.
144_4458.jpg

sirsureshot39 said:
They both are blow through setups, the difference is one used a carb hat( in the picture) and the other is outdated and overpriced(carb enclosure).

You are sorta right there... The carb hat can be a nightmare to get the tune right with the carb. It can take many many days on the dyno, and if you change ANYTHING, you gotta rejet or retune the carb. The enclosure is much easier because it pressurizes the whole carb, thus making the tuning much much easier... most of the time, you can just throw the carb on and go with little or no tuning. But don't get me wrong.. I'd rather pay 200 for a hat and d i c k with the carb forever then pay that much for a carb encloser. :D

Nick

Stang8URMPRT said:
You are sorta right there... The carb hat can be a nightmare to get the tune right with the carb. It can take many many days on the dyno, and if you change ANYTHING, you gotta rejet or retune the carb. The enclosure is much easier because it pressurizes the whole carb, thus making the tuning much much easier... most of the time, you can just throw the carb on and go with little or no tuning. But don't get me wrong.. I'd rather pay 200 for a hat and d i c k with the carb forever then pay that much for a carb encloser. :D

Nick
ive found em for 550 plus change complete.. idunno 350 for no worries hummmmm

Where did you find a 460 block?

Everybody says there a dime a dozen...but they seem pretty rare to me. I mean no junkyards around here have them.

Also did you figure what compression ratio you will be running?

Cause as far as I know nitrous isnt as dependent on low compression like a turbo/supercharger is.

There really is no replacement for displacement....

Sure you might get a highly modded, built, power added small block to put down the horsepower a well built N/A big block 460 can but it takes more than peak numbers, power under the curve and torque play a huge role. And in a scenario where the same mods are performed on each engine the small block can't compete. Nothing wrong at all with a 302 or 351, but the 429/460 (385 Series engines) commonly get overlooked yet they can make huge power, have a good aftermarket and have no real shortcomings.

Look at many drag classes....where smallblocks need either a power adder and/or serious weight breaks to compete with big blocks....much more of a weight break mind you then simply the discrepancy between the weight of the two engines.

Advantage big block.

C.Harris said:
There really is no replacement for displacement....

Sure you might get a highly modded, built, power added small block to put down the horsepower a well built N/A big block 460 can but it takes more than peak numbers, power under the curve and torque play a huge role. And in a scenario where the same mods are performed on each engine the small block can't compete. Nothing wrong at all with a 302 or 351, but the 429/460 (385 Series engines) commonly get overlooked yet they can make huge power, have a good aftermarket and have no real shortcomings.

Look at many drag classes....where smallblocks need either a power adder and/or serious weight breaks to compete with big blocks....much more of a weight break mind you then simply the discrepancy between the weight of the two engines.

Advantage big block.

thats a very good point and what i was thinking t begin with

yes i looks great very vage though i didnt see ne hp number ect and it realy didnt help me visilze the pluming of a turbo into a foxbody.
AS far as single or twin im not shure like i said im not gunna spend a million dollars so what ever the best bang for the buck is

I love big single turbo set ups... They are simple and incredibly effective. Much simpler to work with than a twin setup, and it is cheaper. Find yourself a turbo from a junked 7.3 turbo diesel and change the exhaust housing to incorporate a waste gate and you're good to go.