4cyl t-5 to v-8 t-5????

• Sponsors (?)

Same transmission, just different internals really.

You would need to change basically everything inside...countergear, input shaft and all the gearing and synchro's on the mainshaft.

timewarped1972 said:
thanks, just curious because i see alot of 4cyl t-5's pretty cheap, and with the rebuild kits available i was just curious....

Well, here's a more complete explanation.

The 4-bangers gears are a different ratio and made of a weaker material. If you want to upgrade to a V8 spec trans, you need to replace the gears with the stronger V8 versions. Now these have a different gear ratio so you need to change the countergear, each individual mainshaft gear and the input shaft to match.

The synchro setup the 4-banger T-5 uses is the NON-WC setup as well. This means brass synchros for all 5 gears.

Ideally, it would be cheaper to get a used V-8 t-5 and rebuild it than the get a cheap 4-banger box and build it up to V8 specs. T-5 parts are plentiful and good used internals can be had very cheaply. For a T-5 i just rebuilt, i scored a good used mainshaft, 2nd gear and new 1-2 slider for $100. Sometimes you'll find guys with 2-3 broken T-5's sitting around. You can usually get em dirt cheap or free and take em apart and slap together 1 good T-5 with a rebuild kit out of the parts you have, and then sell the leftover good parts on ebay or the classifieds.

Just remember, the 85-89 T-5 has a different gearset than the 90-93 trans. The 90-93 trans has a slightly higher torque rating so it's more desirable. The synchros and other non-gear parts will interchange, but the countergears and individual speed gears will not

yeah, i'm kinda ummmmmm, i have a pedal assembly, and a cross member, and am slowly piecing parts together for a t-5 conversion. i'd love to have a built aod, but i was originally lookin for a stick anyway, and i know if the aod ever goes i aint gonna have 2 grand to do it right, so while in this process i'm trying to familiarize myself with t-5 stuff so along the way if i see something dirt cheap i can add it to my t-5 conversion stash. i'm assuming when the time comes i should be able to find a excellent working t-5 for 500 or less, but i don't know enough about them to know whats what, yet anyway. i see alot of them on e-bay but thats kinda a crap shoot depending on what you pay for them. i won't be dragging it, just need somethin that'll be good for what will be a mellow driveable 13 second car on the motor........so a t-5 from what i've seen should work for that.