4cyl T5

• Sponsors (?)

It should be O.K. as long as you don't bolt sticky tires on. One of my friends is running one in a low 15 Sec. car. My other friend is running the factory 2.3L turbo one behind his Turbo 2.3L that runs 14's, so it's basically handling as much power as a lightly modified v-8. Just don't bolt sticky tires on, you'll be ok.

It can. It all depends on you and the way you drive. Also don't put sticky tires on. :) I wouldn't bother changing it untill it does blow up. Or if it already did and you plan on keeping the car be sure to put in a v8/cobra spec one, it is defenitly worth the $$.

slow88stang said:
Alright well thats good to know. What do I need for the 4banger t5 to mount up to the 5.0? The pilot bearing I think, but where do I get it from and what is it called?

I would research this a LOT.

The imput shaft would be to small on a 4cyl T-5 to go into a 5.0L. Now they may make a adaptor for it but I would wonder how the gears on a 4cyl gear box would do on a 5.0L? There gearing is slightly different in both boxes and usualy only high powered 2.3Ts use a 5.0L gear box.

Pro-Hawk said:
I would research this a LOT.

The imput shaft would be to small on a 4cyl T-5 to go into a 5.0L. Now they may make a adaptor for it but I would wonder how the gears on a 4cyl gear box would do on a 5.0L? There gearing is slightly different in both boxes and usualy only high powered 2.3Ts use a 5.0L gear box.

A. The high powered 2.3L's do NOT use the 5.0 gearbox, the only thing different from a N/A 2.3L motor and a Turbo 2.3L motor is the 5th gear. The 2.3L turbo has a larger 5th.

B. I know of someone right now that has a N/A 2.3L tranny behind his 5.0L, no problems yet.

C. The gears are different. My friend has 2.73 gears in his rear, but with the 4-cyl tranny it's like he has 4.10's.

There are a buttload of threads on this topic, all with the same result. People have, and currenty are running the 4 cyl tranny behind the 5.0.

Just don't abuse it all the time or bolt sticky tires on it and it will last for quite some time.

But don't take my opinion on it, do a search here on stangnet, you will see.

Torque ratings are indeed different, but the main thing that you have to think of about that is the application of torque. A V8 produces massive torque at any RPM, which puts stress on the tranny all the time. A 2.3T doesn't make that much power down low, which keeps the strain off the tranny. So just don't beat on the 4-cyl. gearbox and you should be okay for a while behind the V8.

85 Coupe - I think what Hawk meant was that only the high-powered 2.3T guys use 5.0 gearboxes because they don't suffer from the lower gearing as much as us low-powered guys do. :)

Ash

Asha'man said:
85 Coupe - I think what Hawk meant was that only the high-powered 2.3T guys use 5.0 gearboxes because they don't suffer from the lower gearing as much as us low-powered guys do. :)

Ash

You said it better than me :nice:

Now I always heard the imput shafts are smaller on a 4cyl gear box than the 5.0L box. Does this make a difference when using a 4cyl box on a 5.0L? Are does it only matters on a 5.0L box going into a 2.3L?

As for don't abuse it... what fun would that be ;)

I found a site that has covers the 4 cyl v8 conversion sticking with the 4 banger T5. It says that the input shaft is slightly smaller and to fix that all you need is a pilot bearing from a 90 mazda truck to make it work just fine. Well my the first mod in mind was going to be 4.10 gears, so your saying that the gear ratios are different and it is pretty much like having 4.10's in it already?

I currently have a 4 cyl T5 tranny with 3:73's... after I swap out to a 331... I couldnt imagine keeping the same combination but with a v8 in front of it. My first gear is already pretty much useless other than redlining it to 15-20mph and breaking them loose... or maybe rock climbing.

85 Coupe 5.0 said:
Sorry Pro, Indeed i read your post wrong.

The gear ratios are a LOT closer in the 4 cyl t-5's. Yes, it is basically like having 3.73's or so out back. Take a look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/T5ID.htm

This site gives you all the ratios, torque ratings and pilot diameters for the T-5's, including the 4, 6 and V-8 Versions.

NP. It was my fault because of how it was wrote, kinda vague you know :D

I've seen that T-5 site before and the 4 cyl is smaller than a 5.0L but I guess the size doesn't matter when you bolt a 4cyl box to a 5.0L.

Here's a question though, if the 5.0 block produces 225 HP and 235 ft/lbs tq (IIRC for the 87-89 fox at least), why would it matter so much if you mated a modded 2.3 turbo to it? WIth basically light modification you can get it to 250 HP and roughly the same torque, and at that point you already outdo the stock 5.0, so why would it matter so much? Or maybe it has to do with when the max HP/tq is reached?