4CYL TO 5.0 COV

ROCKY22

Nov 8, 2006
I GOT A STANG IT WAS A FOUR CYLINDER BUT THE PEOPLE I GOT IT FROM HAD TURN IT TO A V8, 88 engine t5 tranny
its a 91 coupe.

But my friend tells me its missing something that it doesn't have that pull like hes (5.0 gt 88 stock)
he mention the rear end may be from a 4 cyl and not a5.0 how can i find this out or what can i look for to get more power .
thxs

• Sponsors (?)

ROCKY22 said:
I GOT A STANG IT WAS A FOUR CYLINDER BUT THE PEOPLE I GOT IT FROM HAD TURN IT TO A V8, 88 engine t5 tranny
its a 91 coupe.

But my friend tells me its missing something that it doesn't have that pull like hes (5.0 gt 88 stock)
he mention the rear end may be from a 4 cyl and not a5.0 how can i find this out or what can i look for to get more power .
thxs
by looking at the diff cover. . . the 8.8 is different from the 7.3 but the actual size of the rearend would not make the car slower, the gears in it would
Jack the car up and spin the wheel one full revolution and count how many full revoulutions the driveshaft turns

Modular2v said:
by looking at the diff cover. . . the 8.8 is different from the 7.3 but the actual size of the rearend would not make the car slower, the gears in it would
Jack the car up and spin the wheel one full revolution and count how many full revoulutions the driveshaft turns

thxs for the help

for every on time the wheel turns the driveshaft will turn X amount. . . for example if you turn the wheel one full revolution and the driveshaft ALMOST makes 4 revolutions you have 3.73 gears. If you turn the wheel one full revolution and the driveshaft ALMOST makes 3 full revolutions you have 2.73s (which is prob what you have) :(

I believe 4 cyl cars have a steeper gear ratio which is perfered anyways for accelaration.

Since this is a new car for you and your not sure of the condition of engine, i would step back and do a diagnostics on it. Check compression ratio on each engine cylinder, check for service codes, check basic tune up items such as plugs (color and wear), wires, cap/rotor, and such.

Also check the firing order as the motor may not be an HO motor. Check heads for casting numbers to see if they are E7 Truck (mustang) heads. Also check year of block (starter area underneath).

Get some info on what you exactly have first before throwing aftermarket parts. After all the motor may be an HO but near end of its life.

Also in order to help you with this i suggest getting Al Kerschenbaum's book called "The official ford mustang 5.0 technical reference & performance handbook".

Any other good info for him guys?

Good luck with your stang