4cyl to 5.0 swap what am i getting into?

stangman11

Feb 27, 2006
New Jersey
Hey guys i just bought a 92 notch 4cylinder planning on doing a 5.0 swap in it now i know i have to upgrade all the suspension the tranny and rear and renforice the body with stronger cross members. But i need to know what im getting myself into before i go an attempt this. How much really is there to completeing this swap.:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

alot. But it is ALL practically pull off put on kind of swap, IF you have a parts car. Your best bet is to get a parts car(thats what I did!) Youre gonna need to change out the wiring harness and ECU too I believe. Is your car auto or manual? If you have an auto you have to cut a little bit out of the shifter hole to swap to manual and swap in a dual hump tranny cross member. and some other crap lol. I'm doing the same thing and trying to learn along the way. To answer your main question, it is worth if you would like to gain some mechanical experience and have time. It isnt worth it if you dont have time or money; you should just save your money and buy a complete 5.0. I dont have time but when I get time I'm doing my best to get as much done in the time I'm given just because I want to:) Either way you go with it good luck!

BTW welcome to stangnet

I bought my 91LX Notch with a 2.3L off e-bay for $500. I'm a week or so away from being totally done with the swap. If you have time and look on e-bay you should find most of the parts you'll need.

Things your going to need off hand are...8.8 rear end, V-8 fuel pump assembly, braided fuel lines, V-8 engine wire harness and ECU, O2 sensor harness, V-8 sway bars, V-8 springs, exhaust hangers for cat back, double hump trany crossmember, V-8 throttle cable, if it's an auto- kick down cable and V-8 auto shifter, fuel pump relay for under the seat. That's what I can think of just off the top of my head.

This is one of the most common swaps out there.

Strictly speaking, you do not need to touch the suspension and driveline just to swap in the 5.0. All the four cyl springs, shocks, etc will work. I would get the engine in and running, then deal with the rest.

Lots of us use four cyl springs at least in the front, as well as the lighter 4 cyl brakes, for mostly track use. I still have the 7.5 axle in my 5.0 cars. The 4 cyl auto will not bolt to a 5.0, and the 4 cyl T5 will need a v8 bellhousing and special pilot bearing to mate.

The swap is not really that bad. like a couple of the other guys said, you can use most of the 4 banger suspension, and driveline off the bat and then beef it up down the road. I have done 3 of these and have learned some little time saving tricks along the way so, PM me if you get stuck, I have pics! :D

Thanx for the help guys i was a little nervous in the begining but now it dosent seem as bad as i thought. BUt with the wiring harness u were talkin about do u mean its not just swapping the ECU i have to wire up a whole new harness behind the dash and in the engine bay?

stangman11 said:
Thanx for the help guys i was a little nervous in the begining but now it dosent seem as bad as i thought. BUt with the wiring harness u were talkin about do u mean its not just swapping the ECU i have to wire up a whole new harness behind the dash and in the engine bay?
you are going to need a different injector harness also

stangman11 said:

The wire harness in the dash will be fine, other than you'll need an V-8 Tach(stock one will read double). You'll need the ECU and all the harness that goes to the V-8 motor. You'll also have to extend the alt wire harness since the V-8's are on the passanger side. I'd look for a 92 V-8 harness since it will have the airbag wiring you'll need and the under dash plugs will plug right in. Just start looking on e-bay for "mustang harness". I picked one up for my 91 for $99.