4k to spend,blower or top end kit???

Nasty_Notch

Aug 8, 2006
Hanson,Ma
Looking for opinions,I have a 93 LX notch with a 306 with low miles,b cam,GT40 heads/intake.It has 190 fuel pump/24lb injectors etc.I have about $4000.00 to spend.Should I bolt on a blower or just do AFR 165's & an x-cam.
Opinions please.
thanks,
Rob :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the info,keep em coming.I'm torn between the 2,I know motor would perform pretty well with current combo with blower..However,if I do HCI,it will be a N/A terror as well.Who does custom cams these days,I'm just getting back into Stangs after 10 year hiatus.

I would say with $4000, maybe just a tad more, you could get a custom cam (Ed Curtis or Jay Allen), AFR 165's, and have T-Moss port your lower intake and still have enough to get a used S-trim or a used P1sc with intercooler. I think that with $4000 you could do both.

yellowclone said:
I would say with $4000, maybe just a tad more, you could get a custom cam (Ed Curtis or Jay Allen), AFR 165's, and have T-Moss port your lower intake and still have enough to get a used S-trim or a used P1sc with intercooler. I think that with $4000 you could do both.
I thought about doing HCI and a used blower but I'm scared to death of getting porked on used part.:owned:

Different heads and a Custom Cam (set up for forced induction.)

Then spend the rest on getting the car setup for the blower. The clutch, trans, brakes, fuel system, etc will all need to be warmed over if you plan on making decent power

srothfuss said:
Different heads and a Custom Cam (set up for forced induction.)

Then spend the rest on getting the car setup for the blower. The clutch, trans, brakes, fuel system, etc will all need to be warmed over if you plan on making decent power
This is basically a 1 shot deal,I have 4k to spend & it's gonna have to hold me over for a couple years.The rest of the driveline/chassis is bulletproof.
I know fuel system would need to be upgraded for forced induction.Ie; 255lph pump or
inline pump,38 or 42# injectors etc.

nothing beats forced induction! That being said, nothing beats a bad ass n/a car either! haha. Its a game of picking your poisons. It will take more money to make a fast N/A car than a forced induction car though. If i were in your shoes i would buy some gt40ps, cam, roller rockers and then throw a blower on. And you will have to get some BBK shortie headers if you do opt for the gt40p heads. Then again you could drop 1200$ for a set of afr 165s, mild cam and a powerdyne blower, that should keep you under 4000$ after injectors and fuel pump

EDIT: i just saw you have aftermarket pistons and already have a fuel pump and injectors ( i really should pull my head out a read before i respond) Since you have aftermarket pistons in that 306, i would defenitly opt for the 50$ more afr 185s!

I really like the idea of bolting on the blower & adding 125hp & being done with it.I know I couldn't get those results with a H/C/I swap. The combo I have now is a pretty solid performer/foundation.I don't think 185's would be right for my application N/A.I like to keep port velocity up for only 306ci.It is just tough to decide,I have my wife's blessing to get blower but I like the idea of being all motor.:shrug: I can get a NOvi 2000 for $2900.00 to my door
or an ATI for $3250.00.I like the fact that the ATI comes with an intercooler.
Sorry for my ramblings....:dead:

If you already have a gt40 intake and heads on a built 306....i would just toss a good blower on it like an Novi 2k or S trim and toss a fair amount of boost at it. You wont see amazing gains from just bolting on AFR's and a better intake/cam...Maybe 40-50 hp. On the other hand if you toss a good blower on there...you instantly add 100+hp and still have money for injectors and a tuning system! With a tuner you can always make a tune to chill the car out and make a tune for all out power!!! i would go that route!

well im not sure about the price being the same. I think a good 2.2L Kenne Belle setup (flowzilla) runs about 3200 bucks right? and you can get an S-trim for like 2500. I have driven my buddies modded 94gt with a KB and let me tell you its the ultimate street setup. Gobs of torque and full boost by 2100 rpm. But at the same time, it probly didnt make as much peak HP as a s trim would have but his power was more useable. I still say any blower combo will net you a more driveable car. Once you get into big HCI combos you loose some driveability.