4r70w from a sixer

sn-95matt5-0

Nov 6, 2006
alright i'm planning to get a 4r70w from a 03 v6.

wat all is needed to build one of these to hold up to some horsepower?

i've heard of the j-mod but never seen anything about it other than here.

where do you all get your tranny parts from?

does the b & m shifter for our model car work or do i need to buy one for the newer model mustang.

and i would love any other advice on these trannies also. like extra installation parts, and tricks.

thanks guys:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

ok ... 4 things:

1. a stock 4R70W should hold up without needing any upgrades. there is a guy over on hardcore by the name of eric fischer who has a 100% stock 4R70W out of a 2003 V6 behind his 418. he says he has run over 50 passes at the track, runs 10.7s, and has never had any problems with his.

2. if you are staying automatic (ie - not going to a manual valve body), please make doubly sure you get the wiring right. as you know, that has been my problem for the last 6 months.

3. a later model shifter doesn't fit correctly with the console ... it is about 1/2" taller than one from a 95, so the console can't sit flush on the bottom. i have one, so i can prove it. apparently you can mount it from below the tranny tunnel and then it is ok.

4. i have an essentially brand new b&m hammer shifter that i didn't use. i'll sell it at less than full price to you if you want it.

I did a AODE to 4R70W swap. A trans from a 03 may not have the speedo gear on the tail shaft. I am not sure if you have a aode a 5 speed now so post it up and I tell you what you will need to do

Here is my 2003 V6 trans the picture shows were the plug is you need to remove the plug and look inside for a gear on the output shaft. I had to swap the tail shaft from a 02 trans that I blew up with a bad tune

look inside the shaft smooth no gear View attachment 345983
Plug all of them have this View attachment 345985
A 02 tail shaft with the speedo gears on it th_Trans025.jpg

Attachments

• th_Trans025.jpg
    th_Trans025.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 59
hey guys thanks for all the replies.

i have an aode right now. i can also get one from an 02 or 01 theres a local junkyard that has about 5 of them i just saw the 03 and thought it would be best because of the less miles

If you need some tech, check out www.clickclickracing.com. I fit one to my Fox Body last spring and my buddy and I documented all the wiring info over there. Stuff like which wires from the harness do what, etc. Probably going to be useful for you. You can search for users "mansonozz" and "dancobra96" to see our posts on the subject. Being that mine is a Fox Body we had to make quite a few things work on our own. Should go much more easily for you though! ;)

hey guys thanks for all the replies.

i have an aode right now. i can also get one from an 02 or 01 theres a local junkyard that has about 5 of them i just saw the 03 and thought it would be best because of the less miles

Ok then try and get the newest one with the speedo gear on the output shaft. Take off that plug and look inside. I was told that that 03 has the strongest planetary made but a 2002 should work fine. Just to the Jmod and swap all the electronics (solenoids, sensors and wires) and tail shaft housing from the AODE. Then you will not need to do anything to the wiring harness or drive shaft. Your shifter will work fine. You will also need a tune because of the different ratios. Get a stall speed while you at it . Silverfox from clickclickrecing.com helped me out when I did mine

From what I have learned 03 dosent have the gear and 2002 and older do . So you want something form from an 02. Also look for 2 starter bolts not 3 all of the 4.6's have 3

what do you mean, "you won't need to do anything to the harness"? the aode connector has different pinouts than does the 4r70w harness

If you change everything electrical including the connecter all internal wires and solenoids you don’t need to do anything the harness. This is what the trans guy at clickclick.com had me do

Or you can modify the main wiring harness and swap the one solenoid with the AODE one after you cut it to make it fit (less work but more room for errors)

If you change everything electrical including the connecter all internal wires and solenoids you don’t need to do anything the harness. This is what the trans guy at clickclick.com had me do

Or you can modify the main wiring harness and swap the one solenoid with the AODE one after you cut it to make it fit (less work but more room for errors)
the guy who did my conversion says he did the first option you mention ... but be must have screwed it up because there is a short that causes both solenoids to energize when either one gets power. :mad: :bang: