4R70W swap?

BlackVert

15 Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Bethesda, MD
I am considering going to a late model 4R70W tranny. There is a guy on hardcore50 who did it and he loves it. And he has a 418 that runs 10.69, so i don't think the tranny is hurting him that much. He has also made almost 60 passes with it, so the tranny seems to be heavy duty enough for me.

Anyone swap in a 4R70W transmission into their 94/95?

Any tips?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm pretty sure the V6 model 4R70W will bolt up to the 5.0, but not the 4.6 V8 model's. Otherwise, there's the option of swapping internals into an AODE case, but that gets to be quite a hassle. Search out oinkaodeoink's thread about his swap using the V6 tranny. From what I recall, it was pretty informative.

I just bought a 4R70W from a 2003 V6 with 26,000 miles from Prestige Mustang for $550 shipped!

It was the only one they had.

I am planning on getting a converter from Redneck Performance. I will let them recommend one based on my intended usage.

Scott, the guy who is installing my motor, says he will install it for me.

Any installation tips for him?

Hehe just got done having fun on the street w/ my Edge convertor/4R70W... guy in the '06 GT in the other lane thought I had a stick to light up the drag tires like I did.

I'm happy w/ the combo... S-trim goes on as soon as I decam my '72 and get it ready for DD duty...

Wes

yes, i am going to an automatic tranny. my original decision was to go to a built tremec with a high hp clutch. why the change in plans, you ask?

the hardcore50 site came back up, and i started lurking on there ... and i came across a guy (eric fischer) who has a 418 in a fox body with a 4R70W from a 2003 v6 that bolts right up to his 351. and he is using a 1995 computer to control it. his car runs 10.69 in the 1/4, and he has made 60 passes on that tranny. that got me thinking ...

i drive most of my time in the city and in neighborhoods, and the thought of a stiff clutch in those situations did not excite me. i think you know me well enough to know that if there is something about my car that bugs me, over time i will not want to drive the car. knowing my intended usage for this car, i am confident that the right automatic transmission will make me happy.

i came to learn that the 4R70W is a good tranny that is capable of handling 700 hp.

so i called prestigemustang to see how much they cost, and they had 2 (from v6's) they were selling for $400 with $150 shipping ... one of the has only 13,000 miles on it. so i jumped on it.

and ... the tremec i was going to get cost $1200 and the clutch was $600, so i am saving about $700 after i get the converter.

poke, i was led to believe that a t5 won't last very long with the kind of torque we will be putting out. just something to investigate.

I'm going with a "Street Edge" locking converter, 3000 stall, high carbon material. The price was the best, and Andre was really nice and he spent almost 15 minutes of his time just answering my newbie questions the first time I called.

The PI converters were just too expensive, and the UltimateConverter would have been great, but he had a 2 week backlog and I didn't want that to delay my installer.

I got a TCI Flexplate, Summit #TCI-529628.