5.0 6 speed automatic Times

• Sponsors (?)

What does everyone think the 5.0 auto will run in the 1/4? Ive got a 5.0 ordered and Im trying to decide between manual and automatic?

I honestly feel if a auto and manual lined up 100 times, the auto will win more than 50% of the time. no error. no left leg clutch fatigue. But the manual will be much more fun.

Get the manual. Even if Ford offered a dual clutch tranny like the GTR, that somehow propelled it to low 12 seconds, I would still get a manual shift mustang.

Its the entire point of a sports car in my opinion. And did you read what MustangNews said about the manual?

"The six-speed manual was our favorite of course. The shifter is much improved over the similar one we experienced in the 2010 Shelby GT-500 last year. It is easily rowed through the cogs with few hang-ups or misses. It is precise and surgical. It feels solid and durable. And with Mustang enthusiasts it will need to be."
Test Drive: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0

or About.com
"One of my favorite features of the new GT is its new manual gearbox. The new box offers up shorter throws between gears. The clutch also felt lighter than the previous model. "
First Drive: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 - A Review of the 2011 GT 5.0 Mustang

Then newer autos are great. With a good tune in both cars, the auto will probably win every time. Stock, with the same driver, the manual will probably edge out the auto, but with different drivers, it's a drivers race.

I traded my 08 primarily so I could get rid of the 5spd for an auto. The new Getrag 6speeds might be great but I'll take an auto over a Tremec any day of the week.

If I was to get a 2011+ a testdrive of both transmissions would be mandatory. I wouldn't order either sight unseen.

Autos can vary greatly in performance.

Automatics don't get quite as much power to the ground, so while the manual '11's will trap around 110 mph, the automatics will trap around 108 mph. With drag radials, that should translate to the manuals running mid 12's in the 1/4 mile while the automatics should run high 12's.