5.0 driveshaft removal, engine out though...any ideas?

metal1399

Jan 21, 2004
I tried to remove my driveshaft yesterday with the engine out and have had no luck. I have tried a breaker bar with the wheels on the ground, chocked, etc. and they still spin a little. I have tried with the car in the air, 90-100 psi impact with an elbow (I know, I know) to be able to reach the 12 point 12mm and no luck....I know this should be a ten minute job, I have done these pleny of times before but every other time the engine was in the car still and I was able to put the car in gear to be able to provide resistance. Any tools or attachments/special elbows that anyone would suggest to get me a better angle at this thing? Or for that matter if you have removed the d/s an easier way with the engine out I am all ears. Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

I take mine out with the car on 4 jack stands. I take a pry bar and wedge it up in the front u-joint. I let the ground hold it tight in place or you can have a helper hold it. Then get a 12 point box wrench and put a pipe on it for leverage.

12 point 12mm box wrench was all I finally used. I had the car on jackstands, laid down on the garage floor, slid my body under the car and put both my feet on the box wrench end. Hold onto the tire to keep it in place (I was in gear and had the brakes engaged too) and push as hard as you can in a smooth motion with both feet. That should be enough torque to break them loose.