5.0 Head Job Questions...help?

Askernie

Nov 12, 2002
Tampa
Hey Everybody,

I'm trying to do a head job on my 1990 Mustang GT. I have taken off the upper manifold, taken off the valve covers, taken off all the bolts holding the heads and the heads won't come off.

I see a bolt holding the AC compressor bracket and one holding alternator bracket, do these have to come off to release the heads?

Do the exhaust manifolds have to be loose to release the heads?

I seem to remember this being easier on my earlier 1965 Mustang...

I'll take any help...

Ernie

• Sponsors (?)

You need to unbolt all the accessories off the front of the engine- A/C - P/S , Alternator/ Smog pump brackets, remove the alt and a/c- do NOT disconnect the A/C lines. Remove the exhaust manifolds,. Serpentine belt removed. Remove the smog hoses and thermactor hoses.

You did bring the car to TDC on #1 and mark the distributor before pulling it right? Disconnect the battery cables.

I would recommend you get a Chilton or subscribe to AllData so you have available the proper sequences and torque specs.

You need to unbolt all the accessories off the front of the engine- A/C - P/S , Alternator/ Smog pump brackets, remove the alt and a/c- do NOT disconnect the A/C lines. Remove the exhaust manifolds,. Serpentine belt removed. Remove the smog hoses and thermactor hoses.

You did bring the car to TDC on #1 and mark the distributor before pulling it right? Disconnect the battery cables.

I would recommend you get a Chilton or subscribe to AllData so you have available the proper sequences and torque specs.

No offense. Do a search here on on GOOGLE for how to remove the heads, and I HIGHLY recommend you get a Chilton. Wouldn't hurt to find someone who's done this before. There are many steps that should be done in sequence to assure that the job is done properly or you will end up with destroying your engine.

Time for a local mentor! This may be more than internet help can provide.
MansGotToKnowHisLimitations_22.jpg