5.0 Longest engine life possible??????

My parents 5.0 had 468,000 on it and the motor was still running good. The car blew a head gasket and when the mechanic replaced it, he somehow or another blew the motor up by not lubing it. It's a shame that car ran like a gem and would have lasted forever. They have also had a couple other 5.0s that went well over 300,00 and the one they have now is at 250,000.

By the way all these are Town Cars, and very well taken care of with highway miles on them. Not necessarily well taken care of, but the oil has been changed religiously.

• Sponsors (?)

my dads 86 has over 230,000 on it....the t-5 and rear end have less then 8,000 on them...that was replaced by the previous owner. his old bronco had over 300,000 on it when the rear end blew and he got rid of it and bought a new truck(back in 99)

Nothing. You probably just have one or two that are gummed up/stuck. I've used this stuff called 'marvel mystery oil' in the past with good luck. Just add some to your oil, run for a while, then drain and replace your oil. You'll know right away whether it worked or not; that stuff cleaned out my lifters within a few minutes of idling.

you are amazing ! i will try that. can i wait until im due for an oil change? or does it need fresh oil to work correctly?

thanks so much.

The motor in my notch was rebuilt at about the same time the AOD was swapped out for a T-5, which was somewhere in the ballpark of 150k miles. I'm getting close to somewhere around 260k on the chassis, now.

My '90 Town Car has 205k on the original motor/tranny, and the valve covers and upper intake plenum never came off until I changed out the VC gaskets at 199k. It's slow and weak - not sure if it's due to mileage, or me being spoiled to driving an HO versus the lo-po 5.0 - but strangely, it uses less oil than the 'Stang, and gets almost the same highway mileage. I'm sure it's got another 25 to 50k of life left in it (at least), but I won't be hanging onto it to find out - it's going up for sale this week, since nobody could/would pony up the bucks to buy my notch. (Oh well ... not that I really wanted to see the notch go, anyway. :D )

My parents 5.0 had 468,000 on it and the motor was still running good. The car blew a head gasket and when the mechanic replaced it, he somehow or another blew the motor up by not lubing it. It's a shame that car ran like a gem and would have lasted forever. They have also had a couple other 5.0s that went well over 300,00 and the one they have now is at 250,000.

By the way all these are Town Cars, and very well taken care of with highway miles on them. Not necessarily well taken care of, but the oil has been changed religiously.

250,000 300,000 mustang h.o.s? 5.0,s?
it makes adifference but its still incredibley good

I love this topic :D

Mine is well over 230k (that's when the speedo croaked out) so i estimate to to be north of 250k. I'm swapping the engine this spring and i can't wait to see what the cylinders/bearings look like.

Hey,

my crankshaft cracked in half at 110,000 miles so i dunno. i guess i didnt get lucky. but also there was 2 owners before me so i dont know what they did to the car. I've only had it for 2 years so... yeah... congrats to the ones that have over that many miles and car still running strong.

holy crap... I've never heard of a 5.0's crank cracking, if anything the block would go before if the cause was power being put down, but I guess not considering you said it was stock... wow

My GT just turned 220,000. I replaced the valve cover gaskets at 200k. Still the original trans and rear end, although the rear end needs gone through soon.

LX has 238k, valve covers have never been off. Second trans and the rear end needs a new axle bearing.

My 86 capri has 200,000 miles I did replace the heads in favor of E7 heads for better power. That was a year ago at 185,000 miles ago but with the old heads it never burned oil or nothing.

My 84 capri I tore the original motor out at 145,000 miles for a rebuild about 5 years ago and its been through 2 engines since. I can blame my neighbor for the last motor he stuck some crap down my carb. :mad: :shrug: but hey its got a windsor now

'89 T-bird 263,000mi. on 5.0/AOD when I sold it. Guy I sold it to said he put another 40K on it before he wreaked it. 2 alts., 1 water pump, regular tune ups and oil changed every 5k is the only $$$ I ever put into it.

My 88 Lincoln LSC had 260k+ on it when I upgraded to the 93 Cobra. Man I loved that car, I really miss it sometimes...it was an awesomely smooth ride but I had Flowmasters on it and a few other little things and it would really start purring when your foot went down on the throttle, but it was still somewhat civil. THe valve covers were never off the car and I woulod still have the car today if it weren't for that awful air suspension. I still dream of getting one to fix up one day...I remember seeing the all black one in an old MM&FF that had the 1996 Cobra wheels on it, a very sweet car.

Mt 1993 Cobra now has almost 110k on it and it still runs like a dream, I can rev it all the way to 5500 or so and there is no float or valve rattle, it just pulls like a champ. 5.0 engines are so freaking solid.