5.0 motor in a V6 5-spd?

• Sponsors (?)

Its not the tranny that you need to worry about, its the rear end. The GTs come with an 8.8 inch rear end and the V6s come with a 7.5 inch rear end. If you drop in a V8 and start driving your car hard on a 7.5 inch rear, things start to break.

You can always find stories where guys have done the swap and the 7.5 has held up fine, but the fact is, if the 7.5 was fine then Ford wouldn't make the 8.8.

Black95GTS said:
Its not the tranny that you need to worry about, its the rear end. The GTs come with an 8.8 inch rear end and the V6s come with a 7.5 inch rear end. If you drop in a V8 and start driving your car hard on a 7.5 inch rear, things start to break.

You can always find stories where guys have done the swap and the 7.5 has held up fine, but the fact is, if the 7.5 was fine then Ford wouldn't make the 8.8.

Unless you do alot of high rpm launches or dump the clutch alot, the 7.5" will hold up fine to a stock or close to stock 5.0 until you have either the time or money to swap it over. When you are undertaking this swap, you have other more important things to spend $$$ on, like getting that puppy running. :nice: After that, then yeah I'd look into an 8.8, but its not imperative right away.

This swap sure seems alot easier than doing the 2.3 to 5.0 swap in the foxes.
would the springs need to be changed and the rad? are most parts in the v6 same as in the v8, or very close to same and would work fine?

MachWyly said:
Wont the fron susp need to be reworked also for the greater motor weight?

No better time for a tubular K member/a-arm/coilover kit install. :nice: But, even if I were to use the stock K member, I'd still go for the usual new springs, struts, etc.

Springs are identical between the GT and V6..... Swap is very easy than doing the fox...... I ran my 7.5 for a while do to the fact I was to lazy to put the 8.8 in it plus I just installed a trac-loc and gears... I ran it on ET streets :) lets just say at 5k clutch drops and slicks it just time before it gives up.... My site has everything you need for the swap... Pictures to come very soon....
Danny