5.0 Mustang-this months Q&A????

I got both magazines for years and I have stacks of them in the garage. I quit getting them in 2004 because it seemed like the same articles over and over again. And I quit getting Car Craft because it was really Chevy Craft.

Car Craft is just kind of a low end mag, anyway. Their tech is usually legit, but you can tell they are on a budget making that magazine. Must be why it's always Chevy crap, haha.

• Sponsors (?)

Eh, I'd agree with what they said. A 331 with heads that flow 300+ CFM intake, 220+ exhaust, a properly matched cam with no less than .550 lift, a decent size intake like a Eddie RPM 2, SysteMax, or TrickFlow R, 10:1+ CR, and with all the supporting goodies should make peak HP around 63-6500 RPM and achieve 450 in theory.

sounds like my 331 and it only made 350/373 on the dyno, but i had junk exhaust

YES it is that easy, bolt a CNC'd or even FAC trick flow head with good supporting parts and you will get very close to that number give or take 10 hp, its been done many times, just cause your motor didnt do it dosent mean that you can discredit what others have achieved. You could do it with a better cylinder head and better planned out parts

With a solid roller it should make more like 500+hp

then why did you use an off the shelf cam and are still running a cobra lower?

I don't want to get into a pissing match. I am not complaining about my set-up! I simply stated 450 is not easy and it ain't. the article sounds as if you simply take a 331, throw some heads on it and your done.

Take some of these cars that you say have well over 450, put them on a "real" dyno and let's see what happens! BTW, with a little massaging, I can get there but then...it wasn't "easy"!

I don't want to get into a pissing match. I am not complaining about my set-up! I simply stated 450 is not easy and it ain't. the article sounds as if you simply take a 331, throw some heads on it and your done.

Take some of these cars that you say have well over 450, put them on a "real" dyno and let's see what happens! BTW, with a little massaging, I can get there but then...it wasn't "easy"!

You obv do want to get into a pissing match cause people keep giving you examples and you keep saying that it cant be done. If you do things right the first time it is EASY, if you build a motor once, dont make the numbers, then buy parts again to make more power then yes, thats the HARD way. 331ci, good set of 205cc heads, victor5.0 or TFS R intake and a custom cam and its done.

My motor made(a little bigger than a 331) 440hp with TFS cnc'd 205's a 282XR cam and a dual plane with a spare untuned to my motor carburator. It made 440 HP at 5900 rpms, i wasnt concerned about the power, i put it on an engine dyno to break it in and make sure nothing was leaking, i was giving up alot of power with the dual plane, and my motor is only 14 CI smaller then a 331.

Here is your "450"hp 331 with a solid cam that is revving to 7000+rpms. In reality its a 331 that peaks at 7300rpms and makes 540hp with NO EXOTIC PARTS, which to me makes it pretty easy, you can believe it or not, but its been done.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/803357-awesome-article-engine-masters-built-331-a.html

You obv do want to get into a pissing match cause people keep giving you examples and you keep saying that it cant be done. If you do things right the first time it is EASY, if you build a motor once, dont make the numbers, then buy parts again to make more power then yes, thats the HARD way. 331ci, good set of 205cc heads, victor5.0 or TFS R intake and a custom cam and its done.

My motor made(a little bigger than a 331) 440hp with TFS cnc'd 205's a 282XR cam and a dual plane with a spare untuned to my motor carburator. It made 440 HP at 5900 rpms, i wasnt concerned about the power, i put it on an engine dyno to break it in and make sure nothing was leaking, i was giving up alot of power with the dual plane, and my motor is only 14 CI smaller then a 331.

Here is your "450"hp 331 with a solid cam that is revving to 7000+rpms. In reality its a 331 that peaks at 7300rpms and makes 540hp with NO EXOTIC PARTS, which to me makes it pretty easy, you can believe it or not, but its been done.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/803357-awesome-article-engine-masters-built-331-a.html

A carbed 331 is a different animal entirely. And i already stated that you can get to it by revving to 7K. And I beleive i did mine right the first time. I wasn't looking for "all" the power in the world. what i wanted was torque for the street.

My whole point was how they positioned the answer to the question in the article. That's it....

I am sure i can find a dyno that will give me the numbers to brag. I prefer real world results! And if you think i am full of it, call Brad Brand, Tony Mamo, or Mike Lewis! BTW, my setup dyno'd 325hp/330tq at the rear wheels.

I am really not trying to argue with anyone. bottom line it is not easy to make those numbers the way they told it in that article.

I really like this thread because it exposes the power given up by setups without the right parts. The only real debate I see shaping up is whether real power can be had with fuel injection without a power adder. Someone has to say "YES!!!". FI can make make power NA, but only with the right parts, that ain't a cobra intake or any intake with that nasty 180 degree turn.

I really like this thread because it exposes the power given up by setups without the right parts. The only real debate I see shaping up is whether real power can be had with fuel injection without a power adder. Someone has to say "YES!!!". FI can make make power NA, but only with the right parts, that ain't a cobra intake or any intake with that nasty 180 degree turn.

Well said! There are EFI intakes that can make ludicrous power though, like the TF "R" or the Eddie Victor. Carb style intakes converted to EFI are a good way to make power, too, of course. :D

Quick question tho, would a TF R or Eddie Vic sacrifice torque? I do know you can rev the crap out of it with those, but at what expense?

If you mismatch parts, maybe, but if done right, no. It will just shift the torque curve higher in the RPMs and make pore power.

How much torque an engine makes is heavily dependent on displacement, compression ratio, and volumetric efficiency. WHERE it makes peak torque depends on WHERE VE is at peak. A smaller intake will be at its best VE at a lower RPM, while a larger intake will achieve its best VE at higher RPM.

Perfect example in this MM&FF article. At one point they switch from a GT-40 intake to a Holley SysteMax, with no other changes. The Holley made only 2 ft-lb more torque at peak, but shifted the torque curve upwards about 700 rpm, resulting in a gain of 41 hp!

Ford Mustang 5.0L Engine Horsepower Modifications - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

I say its def possible. I should be making about 525-530 at the wheels with proper fuel "Im 510 now at 5500 rpm" Thats roughly 600 crank probably a little less. take out the 14lbs of boost = 140 HP theres 460 HP. And im only at 9:25:1 compression so yeah def possible!!!!

Quick question tho, would a TF R or Eddie Vic sacrifice torque? I do know you can rev the crap out of it with those, but at what expense?

Nope, like nic said with the right cam/heads the "bigger" intakes dont give up anything down low. I think the reason my motor works so well with so called high RPM parts is because the torque curve is wide and pretty flat. The cam is a huge part of it, i wish i went custom but i am also happy with what i have.

I think the reason my cam works well is the LSA, it is 114 degrees and i have read that the narrower the LSA the more peaky the motor will be, and the wider lobe separation makes for better drivability and a wider powerband. Alot of guys just look for a peak number but how the motor gets to its peak is way more important than how much power it makes.

Nope, like nic said with the right cam/heads the "bigger" intakes dont give up anything down low. I think the reason my motor works so well with so called high RPM parts is because the torque curve is wide and pretty flat. The cam is a huge part of it, i wish i went custom but i am also happy with what i have.

I think the reason my cam works well is the LSA, it is 114 degrees and i have read that the narrower the LSA the more peaky the motor will be, and the wider lobe separation makes for better drivability and a wider powerband. Alot of guys just look for a peak number but how the motor gets to its peak is way more important than how much power it makes.

Brad said i needed a little more duration for my setup. But, i love it on the street! I peak right around 5,400