5.0 PCV system with supercharger

TOM B

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 15, 2002
Harrisburg Pa
What do you guys do with the PCV valve system when you install a supercharger or turbo.
I have a early stang with a blower and no one knows what to do with it
so I come up here to ask the 5.0 guru's.:hail2:
Tom

• Sponsors (?)

If you use the breather, you have to eliminate the PCV. It's one of those deals where you choose one or the other. If you're running a PCV, but have a breather, you create one hell of a vacuum leak.

I have a supercharger with the pcv.If they recomend to plug the pcv and add two breathers on the valve covers,but they don't fit on the driver side .I have a systemax with tall valve covers and barely have enough room for a plug. u can see it in my sig.

I just realized I have a vacuum leak, I have an open breather on my car and the pcv valve hooked to the intake ( I bought my car this way )

Which way would be better, I know open breather would be the easiest?

there isnt really a better way b/w the two, the only difference is with open breathers all crankcase vapors will just vent to atmosphere and the PCV will burn them, when under boost there is always going to additional blowby due to increased cyl pressures. my car always popped the dipstick under high rpm boost out even with a PCV on my blower car.

if you want to run PCV, just make sure the engine is pulling on the PCV/crank case BEFORE the supercharger and that you make sure to cap off the line on the TB and filler neck of the valve cover and drill and put in a bung in your powerpipe or w/e tube you have before the blower.

there isnt really a better way b/w the two, the only difference is with open breathers all crankcase vapors will just vent to atmosphere and the PCV will burn them, when under boost there is always going to additional blowby due to increased cyl pressures. my car always popped the dipstick under high rpm boost out even with a PCV on my blower car.

if you want to run PCV, just make sure the engine is pulling on the PCV/crank case BEFORE the supercharger and that you make sure to cap off the line on the TB and filler neck of the valve cover and drill and put in a bung in your powerpipe or w/e tube you have before the blower.

My car has a line coming from the filler neck to my vortech heat shield/air box.

My car also pops the dipstick under high boost (well my highest of 5lbs).

So the best bet for me probably would be to just plug the filler neck line and the pcv itself because my car already has an open breather.

Im just curious what is everybody else running, breathers or pcv?

Running a PCV. I never popped a dip stick but I did leak oil out the rear main seal. I just upgraded the PCV to one from a turbo coupe so hopefully it will seal tighter than the stocker. Maybe the rear main will stop leaking? Remains to be seen. BTW, seeing 10lbs boost with a V1.

Running a PCV. I never popped a dip stick but I did leak oil out the rear main seal. I just upgraded the PCV to one from a turbo coupe so hopefully it will seal tighter than the stocker. Maybe the rear main will stop leaking? Remains to be seen. BTW, seeing 10lbs boost with a V1.

Thats the same problem I have, its a new enigine but I still replaced the rear main, still leaks under boost. If I drive it like a normal person it dont leak but im always on it so it leaks, I do have a PCV valve on valve cover and the other cover has a filter so I guess thats wrong.
What year and model would I order a PCV Valve for that seals under boost .

You would need a PCV designed for boost from a mid 80's thunderbird turbo coupe (4 cyl turbo) or one from a Toyota Supra. I believe the part # is EV127 for the turbo coupe one but don't quote me on that. Also if you're running EFI, you need to disconnect the line that goes to the throttle body from the oil fill neck, and instead hook it up to the inlet side of the supercharger, otherwise you'll be boosting the crankcase. Unfortunately the rear main seal is something that might always leak no matter what the setup.