5.0 Question

03CrazyStang

Aug 28, 2003
Texas
I am looking into buying a Fox Body 5.0. What I want to know is the general information like what gears did the notch LX come with, what all did the stock 5.0 have? Just anything you can give me. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

03CrazyStang said:
I am looking into buying a Fox Body 5.0. What I want to know is the general information like what gears did the notch LX come with, what all did the stock 5.0 have? Just anything you can give me. Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by what did the stock 5.0 have...but here goes:

86 had 200 HP restrictive heads(lower HP higher torque though that year) flatop pistons requireing notching for valve clearence in aftermarket heads and cam. 3.27 gears in an 8.8 w/5 spd

87= better heads and intake/speed density (less tolerant to mods than mass air introduced in 88) HP225 ,notched pistons

88-93 mass air added

Hope that helps...

5 speeds came with 2.73's or 3.08's. 3.27 was only an option in automatics.

4.10's will cost you 160 bucks. Install anywhere from 150 bucks to the highest I heard was 400 which is crazy. Also re-pack the clutchs in the T-lock while your in there.

OK, the basic mods that most people start out with are:
1) Sub Frame connectors
2) gears
3) advanced timing
4) H/C/I
5) 5 lug 4 wheel disc swap

Not nessecarily in that particular order, that those seem to be the standards for any Fox. Also, you should read the link below when / if you find a car you are interested in

Fox Body Car buying tips

dead said:
Just to clarify.. did the 86 come with 3.27 gears? I think 86-93 were all 2.73, not sure on that though.

And mass-air was 89+, not 88+... probably irrelevant fact though :shrug:

88 California only Mustangs came with mass air. Probably due to smog regulations and emissions stuff. 3.08's was an option with 5 speed cars. 93 Cobra's came with 3.08's stock. I hate 3.08's though. :)