5.0 Question

golf4283

May 30, 2003
Orland Park, Illinois
Ok so here's the deal. I'm normally over in the classic section but this question pertains to the 5.0L blocks so I figured I'd put it in here.

My current sitaution is that I have 2 engines (complete). One is out of a 1990 Ford crown vic (5.0L) and the other is from a 1986 Mustang (5.0L). Basically what I want to know is what parts from each are preferable as far as crank, pistons, cam etc. I need to use the crown vic block because the '86 block is cracked where the trans mates to the engine. It's not a structural crack but worries me that the tranny isn't fully bolted up.

the crown vic 5.0 I'm sure isn't an HO motor but I believe the '86 is because it has the 351w firing order which I believe only the HO 302's used as well. Either that or someone put a cam in the '86 to convert it. I was planning to use the EFI stuff from the crown vic but it appears it's pretty useless and crappy and I'll just end up converting to a mustang mass air EFI setup once I get the internals and engine actually built.

I also am curious if the blocks are identical?

Hopefully this wasn't too scatter brained.

Thanks,
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

No, but the vic motor should be a roller motor and the bottom end should be identical to an 87-93 Mustang 5.0 HO

Technically, i think both motors are very similar. Both use E6 heads, the same crappy small upper intake and small TB.

I beleive the vic has the pistons with the valve reliefs too. If so, take the vic bottom end, find a $25 dollar pair of E7 heads, use the '86 lower intake and injectors, find an 87-93 upper intake and TB for cheap, and use the 1986 camshaft (86-88 Speed Density cam is the most aggressive 5.0 cam from the factory) , distributor and EFI stuff

Now you have basically an 87-88 5.0 HO which is a good motor to start with.

the blocks are identical, but the 1990 block is stronger than the 86. (not by much)

The 85 motor is roller and has weld reliefs in the pistons. It's also carbed (aod's have CFI). There are minor differences

Get the casting numbers off the side of the block near where the headers would be at the rear

Get whatever numbers and a pic if you can.

The 1985 and 1986 motors could share an E5TE block. If they do we would need to look elsewhere to ID the motor.

Biggest difference is the 85 is carbed and 86 is EFI. If you could see the pistons that would help too. *5 have 4 valve reliefs while 86 is flat topped.

I think the vic motor should have an F0 block casting number

I don't want to tear down the '85 motor just yet until I have everyhting for my EFI swap. I do want to use the block from the crown vic though as a base for everything else. Right now the '85 is carb'd and in my '66 mustang. It's a real strong puller but that crack gets me worried. If the internals of the '85 are HO internals then I want to transfer them to the crown vic block then add the EFI stuff to that and make some good power.

Here were the only discernable stampings on it. I remember when I bought it the guy said it was a truck motor but I really don't know. These numbers say what appears to be E7TE. Here's a pic attached.

attachment.php

These appeared to be stamped on the block near the starter where the cast numbers usually are. On my old '78 302 block there was a flat surface with multiple casting numbers. No such numbers appear to exist on this block. Strange to me.

Any more thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 616
E7TE is a truck block from 87 or newer. The E designates the decade of the 80's and 7 is the year the casting was made. The T means Truck, The E means Engine and Foundry devision. This could have been used for a few years. It probably already has the E7TE heads also. That does not mean the engind came from a truck. My 90 GT engine has E7TE cast on it. If those other two characters are a 9 and a G I think that is the date code which according to my handy book is 9 = 89 and G = July.

Well, for the moment let's say the engine you are getting is a 1990 Vic engine. It's not a ho engine

But, the bottom end is identical to, say a 1990 5.0 ho. The block, crank, pistons, rods, etc...same parts as you would find in a 1990 mustang

The cam you will definitely want to change. I have no idea what cam is in your current motor since the block doesn't seem to match the year you claimed. But let's say you will want a 5.0 ho cam...which will have the 351 firing order.

The heads on that Vic motor are more than likely e6 heads....same as a 1986 misting, but not very desirable. If your mystery motor has e7 heads....use that.

The injectors are 14#, so pick upma set of mustang 19# errs...you will also need a ho computer...for the injector firing order. Don't use the vic comp

As for the intake, the lower is the same as the 5.0 ho, but the upper and tb are smaller. You can prob pick up a complete 5.0 ho intake for dirt cheap...some guys here give those things away. Even better...grab a ford explorer motor.

Orr....if you haven't gotten an engine yet at all...get a 5.0 explorer motor....the best factory 5.0 made by ford. Change the cam and make some good power.