5.0 Ranger Questions

• Sponsors (?)

Just an update. I decided Not to go with an explorer engine. For 1 it has no dizzy and 2 I found a 90 GT with a bad tranny and ruff body.
The cover gets removed and the dist drops right in the motor .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

You didn't buy the motor because the distributor was missing? Don't you have one?
I was just saying I didnt like the fact that the explorer engine has a camshaft position sensor instead of a distributor. I would like to keep my complete MSD ignition setup. As said above though it seems that it is just covered and my distributor will fall right in. I did not know this.

Do I just use my fuel rail I already have and the MAF I already have too with the explorer engine? Seems to me all the electrical and harness can stay I'm just switching the engine right? And does the explorer have the good pistons? (96-97)

I already have the GT40 top end so it wouldn't matter. Per my research but I know you cant believe everything you read on the web.
I'm sorry....I thought all you had was the intake?

Even still....it's much easier (and cheaper) just to buy a complete, in tact Explorer engine, swap out the valve springs and put the cam of your choice than it is adding a top end to an already running engine. The GT40 intake really doesn't perform any better than the Explorer piece....but some think it looks prettier, so go ahead and bolt it on. All you've got to do is swap the uppers.....you won't even have to drain the Antifreeze. The nice thing about the Explorer intake, is that you can then bolt it to your GT40 lower (since they're the same) and turn around and make a few bucks on it. That's not something you could do with the HO intake. You're lucky to get the price of scrap metal out of it.

I'll tell you right now....you won't be satisfied with the power of the stock HO engine....not now that you know you could make another 40hp+ for less work and the same amount of money just by picking up a Explorer engine.

It's your choice in the end, but something tells me if you go with the HO engine, you'll be back here in a very short period of time asking about upgrades....only now you'll have to spend another $200-$300 on a second set of head/intake, silicone, fluids, etc, when you could have paid for your valve springs and E303 camshafts with that money the first time around.

Right on thx for the info. The top end I have is off of a 96 explorer I thought this was a GT40 setup but I could be wrong. I was going to get the hole engine but it threw a rod cap and the block was messed up. Miraculously the head only bent a valve no damage in the chamber. I will look into another explorer engine then I will have a spare top end :).