5.0 Swap, just got an LX today.

C_Heath

Dec 31, 2004
Im sure this one has been hashed alot and yes I did a little research as well but didnt get to much info. My dad is a used car dealer, he traded for an 1987 LX Hatchback. Decent but nasty, 5 speed, all stock.

Ok heres the age old question.....

I know its been done but how hard it is to do a swap? What all bolts up and what dont? Wiring harness, Tranny etc.

Is the 4 banger tranny a T5?

Please help and thanks for the insight

C
:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

I done one earlier this year.

You'll need

-New motor mounts and tranny mount, but they bolt right up.
-5.0 main and engine harness - Get the 5.0 hardness from the same year mustang and you won't have any issues.
-O2 wiring hardness
-Computer
-Fan - I went electric
-Hoses
-Radiator is the same
-H - pipe
-Cat backs
-All the muffler and tail pipe hangers
-Double hump cross member
-(2) O2 sensors
-Your T-5 trans will work; some say it's weaker
-Your 7.5 rear will work, it's a bit weaker and not a posi- I put in a 7.5 posi. The 2.3 should have 3.73 gears. Mine is holding up fine
-New tach or gauge cluster or your tach will read double
-5.0 throttle cable. The 2.3 one doesn't reach
-5.0 coil, my 93 2.3 had coil packs
-The starter is different, the 2.3 has a 3 bolt starter
-The alternator is on the other side. You lengthen the wires; I just upgraded to the 130-amp alternator and used a 2-gauge battery cable.
-The flue lines are on the other side - I used a 98-explorer fuel rail and 95 mustang fuel line extenders and I didn't need to mod the fuel lines.
-The driver's side rear brake metal line interfere with the exhaust - I was able to mod it to work.
-Cruise control won't reach the throttle body. - I deleted it.
- My car had a vacuum reserve tank- some years didn't have them
- My vacuum tree worked out fine.
- My brakes work fine - I didn't see a need to change them.
- The brake booster worked out fine
- Your 2.3 doesn't have a smog pump or the controls for them - I didn't add them -My car passed the PA smog inspection using the 2.3 VIN
- A\C compressor is different - I deleted A\C
- Power steering pump work fine - hoses can be used.
- I have an auto and I switched to an AOD - the tranny wiring was the same.

I spend about $2000 for the swap and thats not including the engine which I had and rebuilt. Everything is pretty much is a bolt up job. The fuels lines can be purchased which would make life easier than trying to modify them. If you can get a hold of a donor car, you will save $$ and plenty of time. I found that there is plenty of demand for these swap parts on ebay and the bidding drives the prices up high. The ford dealer is better source for some of the items.

Ok, next question......

This car was free, now Im not so sure that I should spend the $$ on this one to get it like I want or I can buy one that is ready to go and Black (mine is white) with the 5.0.

Dang, I really didnt think that is was that much but I guess it really is.

Thanks for typing all that, big help there dude!

you the man.