5.0 vs 4.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
just nice that a bolton 5.0 fox is side by side with the same kind of bolt ons in a 03 gt. a decade of enhancements. yes they usually make 20-35 more hp than a bolt on 5.0 fox but cause of the weight mainly, they run just about dead even if both well tweaked vehicles and good drivers. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

matt93notch said:
just nice that a bolton 5.0 fox is side by side with the same kind of bolt ons in a 03 gt. a decade of enhancements. yes they usually make 20-35 more hp than a bolt on 5.0 fox but cause of the weight mainly, they run just about dead even if both well tweaked vehicles and good drivers. :shrug:

Yep...the 99+ will have the edge though.

Enhancements aren't all about the straight line...

5spd GT said:
Those "stock" heads are ported. That stock intake is "ported"...you also have bolt-ons. You also don't know who you were racing...now is it coming together:D

Now were getting way off subject if we have guys with ported heads and intakes talking about beating them. I wont mention how run with them as it just isnt fair, but most of the time a similarly modded 5.0 will get beat by a smiliarly modded 4.6 (5-speeds). As the mods increase the 5.0 catches up slowely and can even it out when we talk full bolt on.

5spd GT said:
Enhancements aren't all about the straight line...

The 99+ do handle and brake far better than any stock Fox could, but that's an unfair comparison.

Even wearing stock springs and shocks, my '03 is a blast to take turns with at speed. It just feels so much more stable than my Fox did stock. It's even solid as a rock all the way to 140MPH. :D

But that is an unfair comparison as we are comparing new technology not to mention a new ABS system (works great btw) and traction control (annoying) to antique disks and drums on the Fox.

5spd GT said:
Okay, your not fit for this type of debate. Let me break it down for you...let speeds handle this;)

For one, it isn't all about beating someone in a straight line. Ford did not go into production saying in 1999 that our goal is to beat a light weight 5.0L notch...

Second, do you know how much more detailed the sohc is over the pushrod, not just the actual engine, but the setup. So does good engine to you mean...'goes fast'...:rlaugh:

Third, why do you think there is so many mods for the fox platform (79-93)? It is because they have been around so long, these 4.6L in the mustangs haven't been around as much. You can buy the same things for these cars already as the 5.0L's have...sorry, but it is true. They are more on the expensive side, but prices are dropping as demand and cars increase...that is the way supply and demand work. Very simple...

Fourth, wow I wish I had a sohc in my hands...I'll get one that will take you on no problem...let me guess, when you beat the drivers, you think the car is crap, no matter what it maybe. Here is a tip, go out and drive them, get in a scene where the guys know what they are doing and how to drive...good luck!

What do you mean at a 20mph roll it won't downshift the way it should? LOL!

Do you not think the 15.4's are from bad drivers...your hilarious...now get out:p

OK ok i ment 40 mph u got me there....and about the ET's i saw...thats what i saw im just stating the truth bad driver or not most ppl cant get 13's out of a stock 03 04 05 GT as advertised cause i really havent seen it...i only state what i see i dont go by mags or fairytales...if u wanna show me that a 4.6 (Stock) pulls an 14.2 or better...then i'll beleive it but as of now i just dont.. i believe the 4.6 is a bad engine cause its full of wires ,dont pull enough power, gas milage decent but not spectacular i still get 24 MPG on my fox Highway and thats 1 MPG off of the 4.6 advertised they didnt lose much wieght on the engine if any... like i said it has so much Crap on it all that tech stuff and to me it isent doing anything . But what i do like is the T56 Tranny...overall it just was a waste of effort in my eyes........I believe NEWER should be BETTER then OLDER and the 4.6, dose not do that with any athority interior is even shot....

and as of braking ABS traction control all the hokus pokus crap it has on it, it still stops 60-0 at 135 as the Fox body's does. Like i was sayin all that tech isent impressing me..... and as of driving if i do get my hands on anyones 4.6 i bet id drive it better then its owner... ive been doing that latley lol

25thmustang said:
Now were getting way off subject if we have guys with ported heads and intakes talking about beating them. I wont mention how run with them as it just isnt fair, but most of the time a similarly modded 5.0 will get beat by a smiliarly modded 4.6 (5-speeds). As the mods increase the 5.0 catches up slowely and can even it out when we talk full bolt on.

Yep, that was my point...

The 99+ will still have a slight mph advantage...

Many of these 5.0L's have a lot of little tricks done to them and little "weights" taken off here and there...

Mustang5L5 said:
The 99+ do handle and brake far better than any stock Fox could, but that's an unfair comparison.

Even wearing stock springs and shocks, my '03 is a blast to take turns with at speed. It just feels so much more stable than my Fox did stock. It's even solid as a rock all the way to 140MPH. :D

But that is an unfair comparison as we are comparing new technology not to mention a new ABS system (works great btw) and traction control (annoying) to antique disks and drums on the Fox.

Exactly, but I'm not sure why you are saying it is an unfair comparison. You get what you pay for...that is fair.

We have some saying "the fox is the funnest car to drive" etc...etc...and how stock 5.0L's are beating stock 99+'s...but then all of a sudden real quickly a few in here start adding bolt-ons;)

Another friend had a 98 GT with a PI Swap, heads were ported by Panhandle Performance but the swirl dams were removed to keep the compression the same, shorty headers, prochamber, stock catback, Steeda Timing Adjuster, pulleys, 3.73's, filter, car did 261.5 RWHP, ran 8.4's@83 MPH.That was before there were plenums and really tuning them but it did have some work on the heads. Shows how much a real tune and the plenum adds on the 4.6's.

Then it blew up on nitrous and now has a built engine with a Novi 2000.

irvgotti said:
OK ok i ment 40 mph u got me there....and about the ET's i saw...thats what i saw im just stating the truth bad driver or not most ppl cant get 13's out of a stock 03 04 05 GT as advertised cause i really havent seen it...i only state what i see i dont go by mags or fairytales...if u wanna show me that a 4.6 (Stock) pulls an 14.2 or better...then i'll beleive it but as of now i just dont.. i believe the 4.6 is a bad engine cause its full of wires ,dont pull enough power, gas milage decent but not spectacular i still get 24 MPG on my fox Highway and thats 1 MPG off of the 4.6 advertised they didnt lose much wieght on the engine if any... like i said it has so much Crap on it all that tech stuff and to me it isent doing anything . But what i do like is the T56 Tranny...overall it just was a waste of effort in my eyes........i believe newer should be better then older and the 4.6, dose not do that with any athority interior is even shot....

and as of braking ABS traction control all the hokus pokus crap it has on it, it still stops 60-0 at 135 as the Fox body's does. Like i was sayin all that tech isent impressing me..... and as of driving if i do get my hands on anyones 4.6 i bet id drive it better then its owner... ive been doing that latley lol

irvgotti - Go over to the 4.6L Tech or Talk section...ask them if anyone has did better than 14.2...be prepared to be hit with a barrage of timeslips:D Better yet get some better drivers around your area or just hit the track more...the laws of probability will increase then.

What does "full of wires" mean towards the engine. It is a fuel injection engine with more "accessories" than the 5.0L. Many love that, surprise surprise...but I do too.

You can get better than the "advertised" gas mileage. A 99+ will get more than your fox. Assuming both in good running condition and equal trim. Take average vs. average...you'll see...some have hit upwards of 30+mpg by report.

"interior is shot"...I would love for you to describe that to us? Also the t56 doesn't come in the 99+...they come in the "402rwhp" variety above:nice:

So the "new technology isn't doing anything"? What about braking better? What about them being quicker stock...? What about them handling better? What about them getting better gas mileage? What about them having less squeeks (same mileage)? What about them being less "overheating" capable? etc...etc.

Sorry but the 4.6L does brake better than a stock 5.0L's brakes. Not much of a comparison actually;) Go look up actual stats...or better yet, go test them yourself...

5spd GT said:
Exactly, but I'm not sure why you are saying it is an unfair comparison. You get what you pay for...that is fair.

We have some saying "the fox is the funnest car to drive" etc...etc...and how stock 5.0L's are beating stock 99+'s...but then all of a sudden real quickly a few in here start adding bolt-ons;)

Well unfair in the regards that i was comparing a brand new car to a 15+ year old 5.0 with worn bushings, springs, shocks, etc. It's just not a fair comparison because i never drove a brand new 5.0 Mustang. The longer wheelbase and wider track of the 99+ just makes it a much stable ride. EVen though my Fox is modded in the area of suspension and brakes, it still gets twitchy sometimes when you lose traction. The 99+ is a little more predictable and easier to keep the rear end behind you. It's an easier car to drive.

I bet i would piss a lot of people off if i told them about my secret plan to swap a 96-98 Cobra drivetrain into my '88 5.0! :eek:

Mustang5L5 said:
Well unfair in the regards that i was comparing a brand new car to a 15+ year old 5.0 with worn bushings, springs, shocks, etc. It's just not a fair comparison because i never drove a brand new 5.0 Mustang. The longer wheelbase and wider track of the 99+ just makes it a much stable ride. EVen though my Fox is modded in the area of suspension and brakes, it still gets twitchy sometimes when you lose traction. The 99+ is a little more predictable and easier to keep the rear end behind you. It's an easier car to drive.

I bet i would piss a lot of people off if i told them about my secret plan to swap a 96-98 Cobra drivetrain into my '88 5.0! :eek:

It would be different for sure...the DOHC:)

Oh, and on the handling/braking...just look at old mags when they were new and look at the 99+'s being tested. Skidpad and braking both came to the favor of the 99+...your average nice sedans skidpad what those foxes do and did now-a-days...

irvgotti said:
and as of braking ABS traction control all the hokus pokus crap it has on it, it still stops 60-0 at 135 as the Fox body's does.

99+ outbrakes a fox (with stock brakes) hands down. It's not even close. The 99+ has far more bite and less fade. Stock Fox brakes are just plain scary.

I will not argue on handeling cause i agree it does feel like im walking on eggshells..i just came from autocrossing this weekend and i got videos of me driving hard but carefull.... (i can show you if u like)

I feel like the 4.6 is better then a fox but still isent that impressive i still see 3rd gen firebirds and camaros out handling them and all ive seen rival then are the panhard mustangs...and dont get me wrong i dont hate the 4.6's im just stating eye witness acconts of the runs ive seen..and ive never seen (Factory Stock) do better then 14.2 its possible but dosent seem common to me...i dont mind be proven wrong......and to me the abs on the mustang isent as good as it should be, good for turning while braking but if a person without ABS knows wat he's doing he can do just as well.....

Also id like to see the specs on the braking your talking about...Ive tried researching again and i cant find it anymore ...im not shoutin you out i just wanna be educated...cause i really thought i was right cause ive researched before....and i got stock brakes it isent scary to me i know how to handle my horse..ive been in cars with worked brakes and they where super sensative..that's scary to me

one more thing ive never heard any mustang puttin 30 MPG and thats a truley a need to see to believe cause that just dont register in my head...

all youve been doing is tryin to twist my words and sittin on little details im not mentioning to give yourself a ego boost...im still waiting for your proof for your statement.and like i said if the driver knows whats he's doing he can stop just as well....sit in my car and ill prove it...its easy when u depend on the car to do things for you (ABS)..whats makes u a good driver is when u can make it do what you wanna do no matter what the car might have or not have....

Find the proof braking and the MPG BS and ill take back what i said....but till then your just talkin

--------------------------------VVV

all you complaining about 327 to 355's or whatever, i have had both and i went down TO 327's. Lil better gear for me personally and i have felt 0...yes zero difference in the pants. car feels identical. I didnt like the rpms on the highway and im like right at 2300rpm at 75 on the highway.

irvgotti said:
all youve been doing is tryin to twist my words and sittin on little details im not mentioning to give yourself a ego boost...im still waiting for your proof for your statement.and like i said if the driver knows whats he's doing he can stop just as well....sit in my car and ill prove it...its easy when u depend on the car to do things for you (ABS)..whats makes u a good driver is when u can make it do what you wanna do no matter what the car might have or not have....

Find the proof braking and the MPG BS and ill take back what i said....but till then your just talkin

--------------------------------VVV

You talking to me?

yup prove me wrong and ill take back wat i said.... You should go to the race track more often..go see what they really do and dont pick out the one with the mods and claim thats how all of them are.....You went to far with the 30 plus MPG....

Status
Not open for further replies.