5.0 vs. RS Camaro

• Sponsors (?)

OMG, I had this issue but of course it is long gone. Very cool. Thanks for posting, Nibbie.

The Mustang, on the other hand, takes a more conservative approach. Stripping off the GT's spoilers and fascias leaves the car with a plain countenance, under which lies the heart of a champ. Liken it to a heavyweight boxer wearing a trench coat. You can't see the muscles bulging, but don't forget for a minute they're there. Only a fool makes fun of a Mustang LX with a 5.0 emblem on the fender.
I love it.

I remember this article as well. Not as old but I remember it was the first sign of how much of a runner the LS1 FBod was going to be (trap speed).
http://www.stangbangers.com/99GT_vs_CamaroZ28_Article1.htm

i believe a mustang just put up a spanking on that camaro. and that camaro had a 306. pretty sad. the gt beats an iroc-z which is almost the same thing as an lx. llol. shows to go what car is better. OH and i almost forgot, there are no more camaros. lmao:rlaugh: but mustangs are still being made! :D

i believe a mustang just put up a spanking on that camaro. and that camaro had a 306. pretty sad. the gt beats an iroc-z which is almost the same thing as an lx. llol. shows to go what car is better. OH and i almost forgot, there are no more camaros. lmao:rlaugh: but mustangs are still being made! :D

That article is misleading... They used a TBI Fbody not a 305 TPI 5-speed car (G92) which would run right next to the fox body. It's this blind brand loyalty with now real knowledge that makes a certain (Mustang OR Fbody) group of people look bad. It's not a 306 it's a 305 and GM offered a lot better motors, they just used the weakest example in that article.

That article is misleading... They used a TBI Fbody not a 305 TPI 5-speed car (G92) which would run right next to the fox body. It's this blind brand loyalty with now real knowledge that makes a certain (Mustang OR Fbody) group of people look bad. It's not a 306 it's a 305 and GM offered a lot better motors, they just used the weakest example in that article.

How do you figure? Fords bottom of the line v8 mustang vs GM's bottom of the line v8 camaro. Seems fair to me, you obviously got more for your dollar with the mustang back then. Also the TPI 305 would not run with the mustang anyway, it was the 350 tpi with the auto trans that would run with it, and even then it was usually a toss up as to who won.

true but you would be paying much more. i think they did this test as a bang for your buck. both the same price and the mustang was faster. i like camaros, dont get me wrong, but you would have to pay more for a better motor in the camaro.

How do you figure? Fords bottom of the line v8 mustang vs GM's bottom of the line v8 camaro. Seems fair to me, you obviously got more for your dollar with the mustang back then. Also the TPI 305 would not run with the mustang anyway, it was the 350 tpi with the auto trans that would run with it, and even then it was usually a toss up as to who won.

Because your taking the lowest hp V8 Fbody and comparing it to the highest (only) hp V8 Mustang and expect them to run side by side? Everyone knows the TBI cars were a joke, and a low option G92 with a 5-speed is a 14 second car, right there with the 5.0s. The L98 cars were in the same boat, a little faster than a 5-speed TPI, but not by much. A 3.08 geared LX 5-speed and an L98 are a good run, a 2.73 geared AOD GT and a 5-speed TPI 305 the TPI should win.

I agree not many if any nice thirdgens out there. When you go by the price the LX 5.0 was a great bang for the buck, but don't think because the weakest motor in the Fbody couldn't run with it, that all the V8 Fbodies couldn't.

The 1980's were a bust for the Z-28/Trans-Am. With the exception of the 89 Turbo TA every TA & Z-28 were slow, REAL SLOW! BUT, they could carve corners better then any Mustang ever made. (On dry pavement)

5.0's (Mustangs) ruled the 80's ! But ONLY THE 80's!!!

The price as tested is with in 2 dollars of each other. Thats a fair comparison to me :shrug:

GTO that's 2 threads you've mentioned how great the F bodies handled...i had an '87 IROC when i was 19 and that car would push so hard in the corners...the only way to balance it was to power drift through corners but that's not always the fastest way through a corner. It just felt bigger and less nimble than a Mustang. One of the best handling stock cars i've ever driven was an RX-7, but that car was twin turbo and you had to baby it in the corners or else you'd be doing 360s if the boost spiked up.

I did love the interior, or at least the dash, of the '80s-90s F bodies. They just felt racier than a Mustang. I also love the engine bay of the same generation because they're HUGE. Lots of room to work on anything...too bad they screwed that up from '93 on.

I think a lot of people forget that the 5.0 Mustang was never built to be the fastest car out there. The fact that it was faster than anything simply meant that something else was slower (the fact that people STILL use it as some kind of benchmark as to how fast their own car is surprises the hell out of me). In stock form the 5.0 was just fun and a good bang for the buck. If Ford wanted to throw down and be faster than the Camaro, all they had to do is put a 351 with GT40 irons on it and they would've at least matched the TPI 350s.

As for the Camaro being sub-par, i'd bet anything they could've used an '85 GT with the carbed setup and still got the same results.

GTO that's 2 threads you've mentioned how great the F bodies handled...i had an '87 IROC when i was 19 and that car would push so hard in the corners...the only way to balance it was to power drift through corners but that's not always the fastest way through a corner. It just felt bigger and less nimble than a Mustang. One of the best handling stock cars i've ever driven was an RX-7, but that car was twin turbo and you had to baby it in the corners or else you'd be doing 360s if the boost spiked up.

I did love the interior, or at least the dash, of the '80s-90s F bodies. They just felt racier than a Mustang. I also love the engine bay of the same generation because they're HUGE. Lots of room to work on anything...too bad they screwed that up from '93 on.

I think a lot of people forget that the 5.0 Mustang was never built to be the fastest car out there. The fact that it was faster than anything simply meant that something else was slower (the fact that people STILL use it as some kind of benchmark as to how fast their own car is surprises the hell out of me). In stock form the 5.0 was just fun and a good bang for the buck. If Ford wanted to throw down and be faster than the Camaro, all they had to do is put a 351 with GT40 irons on it and they would've at least matched the TPI 350s.

As for the Camaro being sub-par, i'd bet anything they could've used an '85 GT with the carbed setup and still got the same results.

AND IT'S A FACT!

They alway's handled better then the Mustang! :shrug:
It did't feel as nimble because it was a bigger, heavier car! DUR!