5.0's what happened

Djquicksilver99

Jan 15, 2007
I see the 87-92 fox mustangs put out 300 torque, I have a 95 cobra and I see its at 285 torque I also noticed that the 86 Speed Density mustangs are 285 torque flat head motors. what happened in 94-95 to the 5.0 especially in the cobras that have GT-40 heads and bigger flow intakes? I see the HP difference but where did the 15 torque go?

• Sponsors (?)

85's are not flatheads (but I know what you mean - piston and heads [as I recall] are different than aero foxes).

Part of it could be the intake. The rest, as already suggested, is all the numbers fudging BS they did (just like how the figures dropped for '93 motors just to make the 94's not look worse).

I see the 87-92 fox mustangs put out 300 torque, I have a 95 cobra and I see its at 285 torque I also noticed that the 86 Speed Density mustangs are 285 torque flat head motors. what happened in 94-95 to the 5.0 especially in the cobras that have GT-40 heads and bigger flow intakes? I see the HP difference but where did the 15 torque go?

There are a couple reasons...
1 - In order to fit the new body style, a thunderbird intake was used to fit under the SN95 hood. This is a big restriction and why the intake manifold should be one of the first things replaced.

2 - The camshaft used in 94-95 is incredibly lame. It's got no marbles. A camshaft from a 87-93 fox will net more power. The reason for this is the new ECU, used only in 94 and 95, is finicky and needs a very healthy vacuum to run correctly.

The tip-in retard mentioned above does indeed hurt when shifting, BUT, it won't effect max power ratings. If you notice while ripping through the gears, your car will fall flat on its face but then slowly pick up again as the computer adds the timing back in.

Adam

2 - The camshaft used in 94-95 is incredibly lame. It's got no marbles. A camshaft from a 87-93 fox will net more power. The reason for this is the new ECU, used only in 94 and 95, is finicky and needs a very healthy vacuum to run correctly.
The HO cam used in the GT isn't actually all that bad. The cam in the Cobra, however, is pathetic...

The cam's aren't bad.

I believe they put out the 'same' relative power, but much of the number crunching was marketing.

Yes the 94/95's have a t-bird intake, but they also have an electric fan.

Dyno after dyno, I see very similar numbers between 87-95's...