5.4 Dohc Swap

• Sponsors (?)

I got a Mach 1 intake. I know that the 5.0 intake in either form will probably flow better. The only thing is that the Mach 1 intake will bolt right up (with adapter plates) and I can use everything in stock locations for the most part.

I got a Mach 1 intake. I know that the 5.0 intake in either form will probably flow better. The only thing is that the Mach 1 intake will bolt right up (with adapter plates) and I can use everything in stock locations for the most part.

But with Mach1/Cobra intake you are actually choking the engine for air.

Sent from my DROID3

yes the installation part of it will be much easier. vacuum lines, accessories and the cooling will all be much easier. you will use all of those of a cobra/mach 1 so it will all be straightforward. you should be able to find a lot of your miscellaneous parts on these forums, a mustang junkyard (no mustangs in reg junkyards around here) or ebay. have you started your build thread on here yet? you should, would like to see how things are coming along!! post pics

But with Mach1/Cobra intake you are actually choking the engine for air.

Sent from my DROID3

yes and no. you could have it port matched and you wont have that problem. with his setup he will have great torque with the long runners but his power band should be a hair shorter than other setups. but there have been proven mach 1/cobra intake on navi engines pushing in the 375rwhp range. thats not too shabby if you ask me. just run a higher compression ratio, plenty of high octane gas, do some head work and you are on your way to high N/A numbers like that

One of the local Mustang guru's also informed me that the 4.6 DOHC Lincoln Aviator intake manifold is a pretty straight forward swap/option for the Navi engines.

well i believe all three c head intake will have the same dimensions as far as the ports go. the aviator, 99/01 cobra and 03/04 mach 1. these three will all need adapter plate because im pretty sure the aviator and 99/01 cobra bare heads should be somewhat identical. i can have that verified for you but the aviator will be much much cheaper. avg cobra/mach 1 is 450-500 and the aviator should run around 100-150

I found some pics of the Aviator. It does not look to have the same style upper and throttle body options. Maybe it would be a bit more restrictive than the Mach 1 intake?

long due update-
started my hectic schedule of school and work a couple weeks ago so im starting to adjust: work at 11pm-730am and school at 810am-3pm monday through saturday morning!
i found a way to mount my coil packs and the power steering. i swapped out the COP valve covers for the 1998 cobra valve covers for my spark plug wires. my plug wires came in and they are Ford Racing blue wires. they fit great. also my brand new Boss 302 intake manifold came in from Canada last week. the plastic around the intake ports and injectors are about a quarter of an in thicker than the coyote intake manifold. i already got the coyote intake to fully bolt down great, so with a little bit of sanding my new intake and smoothing out where i ground some aluminum off the heads, i got the Boss intake to fully bolt down and fully seal. it looks great so far. when i first put the intake on it hit the back of the alternator so i ground away and took off 1/8"-1/4" and i drilled a new lower mounting hole about 1/2" above the original location lowering the alternator a bit. the intake is now clearing the alternator by 1/32". today the hardware store was closed so i couldnt get the bolts and screws i need to mount my throttle body via adapter plate or spacer which is 1/4" steel and all 8 holes are drilled and tapped. will take care of that tom. i also installed the navi fuel rails and my 30# Bosch injectors and new fuel lines. the original fuel lines that connect the fuel rails arent wide enough for the coyote intake but might be for the Boss intake. so far all accessories are bolted down, fuel system is all ready besides installing my new Walbro 255 fuel pump, coil packs and wires are mounted with new valve covers. new polyurethane motor mounts are also installed. tomorrow and the rest of this week calls for swapping the 8 rib navi crank pulley for my 6 rib, installing all the sensors and engine wiring harness and altering it to fit, dont have much to extend. also install cobra 11" aluminum flywheel and Valeo 03-04 clutch kit including pilot and throwout bearing. there are a few more odds and ends but will update when i get there. now for a few pics

tight fit of injectors (maybe 1/16")
img00311201208241023.jpg

new valve covers and all accessories on and coil packs mounted
img00325201209091447.jpg

intake/alternator clearance (hard to get better pic)
img00327201209091448.jpg

notice the alt bolt adjustment
img00328201209091449.jpg

what do you guys think??
img00331201209091450.jpg

HOW IS IT LOOKING???

it fired up and drove home last night. ive got to say wow a huge difference from my pretty much stock 2v to the new motor. i only drove it for about a mile because of legal reasons (no hood, expired tags, oh and open headers :D). i am not 100% finished but everything is working great so far. all thats left is a new hose and clamps for the thermostat housing, a throttle body spacer, throttle cable and a new way to route my cold air intake. the coolant overflow tank is right in the way of the intake hose along with the radiator hose. i think i can just get some flexible radiator hose and lengthen it a bit to get it out of the way. i dont know what i can use for my intake tube because it has to avoid the tank and i would like to get the air filter in the factory location or in the fenderwell so i can get a cowl hood to fit. its sitting right inside the top of the front fender right where the hood closes. i will upload pics later to illustrate better. im on the last couple of steps to making this my everyday driver. WOOOHOOOOO!!

update-

before i put in my car
img00338201209161605.jpg

img00337201209161605.jpg

one view of the engine in the car
img00345201209221407.jpg

another view
img00343201209221407.jpg

another...
img00341201209221237.jpg

here it is after i drove it and dont make fun of my last minute life saving throttle cable haha idk let me hear it and yes that is what it is :D
img00349201210012015.jpg

one more for now
img00347201210012014.jpg

so what do you guys think?? how does it look so far. it will be cleaned up a bit more when 100% completed. thanks for looking

do you know what would be a good place to get one of those expansion tanks. also do those flexible hoses have two vacuum ports or do they sell some like that? i also dont know where to get one thats good quality. thanks for input and compliments