5.4 or 4.6 for my new drag car?

Its not displacement your after its power. You did a great job with what you had.

Your options:
1)internals on your current motor and a new blower 400rwhp or so
2)internals,blower and heads 430rwhp
3)stroke,bore,blower,after cooler,internals,heads,cams,475+rwhp
4)03 cobra $22,000 + procharger $3,500 installed= 600rwhp
5)cobra, aftercooler,50lb injectors,fuelpump, 750+rwhp

The cobra will run like a daily driver, 18mpg, will take 1 day to set up, and will run 9s at the track.

• Sponsors (?)

Forged? I would think you can rev the 5.4 to 6.5k with a SOHC head and stock parts without any problems if properly setup. Its not like its producing a hell of a lot more power.

I guess we/I should specify what kind of setups we were talking about.Ohh and good job with that attitude. I guess what most people say about the DOHC motor guys are true, or is it the internet tough guy act? Im pretty sure I have met you at Norwalk, so good job on the internet thug life. Real cool.

The original scope of the discussion was an 8,000rpm motor. That would take forged if not billet rods in a 5.4L. I would probably use forged rods if I never intended to go over 6,500rpm in a 5.4L, but that's just me.
I haven't been to NRP in 3 years, so it's unlikely (but still possible) that you've ever met me.
I'll be at FFW Norwalk on Sat. come over and say hi if you get a chance. I'll be wearing all FUBU with a phat ass Sean John skull cap. PEACE :banana:

2kyellowgt said:
I have to agree with TLM73 %100.

That is all well and good, until it is time to get an inspection sticker. Unless it is OBD II complaint, in states that actually do inspections, this car will not pass, since it won't be running on an EEC-V, which is mandated by Law.

Remeber, he also wants to drive it on the street.

Saleen did it with the S351, but they had manufacturers status, and met all requirements to do so.

Hey Kirkyg.. Look what i found..

Here is your email..From 12/03

Hey man i posted on the 5.4L DOHC thread that is eons long :). I'm looking into the 5.4L Swap in my 2002 GT 5 speed right now. I have plenty of questions that i think are not clearly answered yet by reading the entire thread so Id like to explain what my plans are and see what you think...and if you have any suggestions.

What i want to put together:

- I want to buy a Navigator 5.4L to go in my mustang (where's the cheapest place?)
- Plan to take a 2.2L Kenne Bell kit and mount it on top of the 5.4L
- Will use a custom intake (not sure from where yet but i know modular performance is working on a lower intake for roots/works/kb blowers as we speak and should be out sometime next year)
- Would like to run my t-3650 atleast for a little while (maybe before installing the blower and then swap to a T-56)

Id like to build the 5.4L navigator motor and have it very reliable. I plan to only spin it to 6500 MAX...as i want to avoid alot of the problems you have had (stuff breaking down everywhere). The reason i say this is...i understand how engines work and i've done some minor mods to my vehicle but im not an engineer or a mechanic. I will have a buddy of mine helping me do the swap and he is great at this stuff. Between us i think the majority of the stuff can be handled (besides custom exhaust work).

I want to run the new engine without the blower for a little while (probably more for money reasons than anything but also to make sure its all running smooth as glass before supercharging and going all out). I want the engine to be setup to run 8.4-8.5:1 compression (supercharger...) & put out about 350 hp / 350-360/torque before the supercharger and then who knows with the autorotor on top :D :D. Again this is with a lower redline than your engine (for reliability reasons). I also would like it to fit under a cobra R hood if at all possible. I really hate cowl hoods with a passion and I assume this will require a tubular K-member at a minimum.

Here are some questions/concerns i have that i can't find clear answers to yet:

-Will cobra valve covers fit on Nav. DOHC heads and are they cheap/easy to get? (i think they look sexy :) )

- With plans for a lower intake with a KB mounted on top will i need a lower K-memeber for deck height reasons?

- I think this has been answered but just want to have it clarified again...With my GT wiring harness and computer all i need to do is hook in all the sensors (they are all in the say basic setup even though i have an SOHC engine right now...) and have it custom tuned right?

- What lbs injectors would be suggested to work with the KB setup...will it be a problem if i use kenne bell's boost a pump instead of changing fuel systems at first?

- What cams should i get...i want some lope at idle...i've seen you suggest using stock cams with a supercharger but again I really would like a small lope at idle (after all its as much about tough sounding as it is speed).

- Which brings up my next question. If you do an exhaust setup with cobra manifolds or custom long tubes, and flowmasters it should have the same beautiful sound as a DOHC cobra right? As long as it doesn't sound like crap like the triton engines do (i assume because they are y-piped and have a different firing order?)

- What exhaust modifications are necessary. I remember you mentioning if you use a stock 01? 03? cobra exhaust manifolds you can just shafe a little off the flange and bolt it up right?

- What changes need to be made to the a/c mounting & alternator?

- I read that you had serious problems with the stock ford oil system which caused engine failure in your case. I woudl like to avoid this problem but also avoid spending an additiona grand just on the oil system. Do you think the stock setup would be fine for a DOHC setup for only 6500 redline or lower? I really dont want to push the engine to 7500 rpms or anything near that.

What suggestions do you have for internals...what brand rods etc. What things should i do to safeguard from having to pull the engine apart and fix things?

Thanks so much for reading this email. Take your time responding if you need to and any help you can give me will be much appreciated. I'm in a parts compilation phase right now. Thanks in advance!

Kirk Kornegay

So how's the project...?

I can't find my response, But..Here's my response today..And is probably pretty close to my response to this email....

.There is no existing blower manifold to put a KB on a 4v 5.4. It would have to be built from scratch. Since you indicated you are not capable of doing it yourself it would probably cost over $8-10,000 to build a intercooled KB/blower drive on a dohc 5.4.( I also do not know anybody that would take on a project like that)
It would also require a built engine to take the boost ...Pony up another $7-10,000. The necessary fuel system and assorted minor stuff..(Custom headers, Mass air,Injectors, Pump, regulator and lines..Another $3-4,000. I forgot transmission/clutch...$3,5-4,500

Regards....

Maybe i should have said....AWESOME!! It can be done for $3,000 ?

So...How's the project?

LOL your so prideful. You prove what i said earlier, saying things like I CAN BUILD YOU x,y,z etc. I was looking for advice not to give you all my money. Oh yea an in the process intention demean the people your talking to by acting like they are stupid if they dont have the equipment to fabricate an entire intake manifold and fuel rail setup from scratch for a custom KB 5.4L setup.

btw, your response was about 3 lines about how i can do this and that for you and you responded to about 5% of the questions i asked.

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
LOL your so prideful. We exchanged about 4 emails both of us. Its the last 2 that you got to be a real anus.

kirkyg

Any idea how many emails and pm's i recieve just like yours? I was a bit slow with you....usually i can smell a load of bull**** after the first or second exchange. So...How's the project?

Cheers..Al

Just showing more of your colors...keep posting please so everyone can see.

Right now there is no project. Everything is on hold right now because some of us have other responsibilities and major life events going on. Things like getting married and moving to a new city and taking a new position etc. I dont have the resources nor the time to work on my car right now...it will be probably a year or a year and a half before i work on a setup. I'm most likely going to go with the 2.2L KB kit and just keep my current engine or start with a new 4.6L DOHC setup and build the engine from scratch.

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
Oh yea an in the process intention demean the people your talking to by acting like they are stupid if they dont have the equipment to fabricate an entire intake manifold and fuel rail setup from scratch for a custom KB 5.4L setup.

kirkyg

You said you were not a engineer or a mechanic. Please tell me how I [quote/]Oh yea an in the process intention demean the people your talking to by acting like they are stupid if they dont have the equipment to fabricate an entire intake manifold and fuel rail setup from scratch for a custom KB 5.4L setup. [quote/] demean you by informing you it would cost $8-10,000 to do something (By your own admission) you are not capable of? It appears you have a comprehension problem/self esteem issues...Further..I'm sure i never offered to build such a setup for you (It may cost much more and consume much more time that the est.) I would not build such a setup for myself.. it's too easy to bolt up a Novi 2000 and be done with it)

Once again..Have a nice day..Good luck with your project

kirkyg said:
LOL your so prideful. You prove what i said earlier, saying things like I CAN BUILD YOU x,y,z etc. I was looking for advice not to give you all my money. Oh yea an in the process intention demean the people your talking to by acting like they are stupid if they dont have the equipment to fabricate an entire intake manifold and fuel rail setup from scratch for a custom KB 5.4L setup.

btw, your response was about 3 lines about how i can do this and that for you and you responded to about 5% of the questions i asked.

kirkyg

Kirky, If you look at Als response, there is no where in there that he says I will build or can build for you, quite the opposite, he is telling you that he does not even know a name to give you to take on a project like you are looking for.

Lastly, in defense of Al, you asked enough questions to write a book. In all fairness Al has a life outside racing, although to his wife, it might not seem it, but it is not as if you asked a simple question or two.

Maybe, just maybe he didn't have the time to answer you line item by line item, but to give you a quick overview, which is what he did.

It just you wanted to monopolize his limited time, which is not fair.