5 alternators? 3 batts? help me please

MY Cobra

Mar 22, 2004
Franklin NC
Well i have had it with my car. I have blown 5 alternators. 3 in the last month. 5 in the last 2 months. The place keeps putting them on for free but i have had it. They say they do not know what is poping them. I had the stock battery in my 99 cobra and it was spose to be dead. I got a new one duralast gold or somethign like that. Somethign that advanced auto sells top of the line for them. I get this battery about 3 weeks later i am putting in to a friends house the lights get real bright the guages go crazy the abs light comes on and i lift the hood there is battery acid all over my engine. I clean it all off with baking soda and scrub it real good i take the battery back i get a optima battery. I take it to the place that put the alternators on they say that my alternator is bad again and they will put another one on for free and ordered a new one. They tell me it is the COMPUTER Can this happen? What should i do? Should i take it to ford? Run the codes or what? thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

Its not the computer. Inside the altenator is a voltage regulator. It controls how much power the altenator puts out. I had an altenator that went bad on my car. It was brand new and it had a bad voltage regulator. Exploded my brand new battery. But it was not biggy. New alt. and new battery replaced for free. What kind of altenators are you being given? Are they new/rebuilt? What brand?

What has been the symptoms when each of the last 3 alternators failed? Did they stop charging the battery? Did you have a dead battery in the morning?

The charging system is self-contained and not dependent on a connection to the computer. The IAR (internal alternator regulator) mentioned by BanginStang97GT has all the computer power required to do the job on its own.

I am not sure of the brand they are putting on i know they are new cause i see the boxes every time. I am pretty sure they are just getting them under the lifetime guarentee thing and putting them on the car. I do not care if i need to pay to get it fixed right i just want to know wtf is wrong with it. Anyway i can tell which wire might be shorting out. Should i take it to a diffrent shop?