5 lug 65 Six cylinder Stang seen today

D.Hearne

Sep 29, 2000
south louisiana
Never thought I'd see this but a buddy has a wrecked 1956 Mustang coupe in his yard with a 5 lug integral carrier (7.5"?) rear under it. And yea, it's the original rear, not something someone replaced the 4 lug rear with. So much for the 4 lug only 6 banger Stangs. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Ive heard of people re-drilling the axles and drums. Also, the later 6 cyl Mavericks may have had that rear end too. The early ones still had the 4 or 5 lug, but all later models (74-up?) had 5 lug. I dont know if that means they all got the 8" rear end, or if the 6s still got the weakling diff but with 5 lugs.

pull a drum off the rear end, i bet you find it is redrilled for the five lug wheels.

It had 5 lug front drums as well. Those were missing. I was reading thru the Mustang Redbook and it mentions that the cars with the sport suspensions got 5 lug wheels, it just doesn't specify if the sport suspension was a V8 only option. It sort of leaves it open to sugestion that this was an option with 6 banger cars too. :shrug:

granadas also had a 5 lug 7.5 rear for some of the six popper models as well, my guess is that it's from a granada, someone probably swapped it in for the 5 lug bolt pattern so they could use different wheels, or it was someone's parts car at one time and had no running gear at all so they swapped in the 5 lug axle. the only 6 banger mustangs i've ever seen with 5 lug axles were the 69 and 70 250ci six cylinder cars and they had the same 8" rear as the 302 cars, the 200 six still got the 4 lug axles.

i bet if you run the numbers on the diff tag you'll find that it came from a granada or maverick or similar car.

The early ones still had the 4 or 5 lug, but all later models (74-up?) had 5 lug. I dont know if that means they all got the 8" rear end, or if the 6s still got the weakling diff but with 5 lugs.

The integral was only used for a short time, 69-70, all 4 lugs.
When the Mavs got V8s in 71, the rear became soley 8".
The 170 and 200 got 4 lug 8", the 250 and 302 got 5 lug 8".
74 to 77, they all got 5 lug 8".

The Granada integral rear was not the same as the early stuff.
It was actually the first design of the version that would become the 8.8" rear.
Don't know much more than that.
However, it would be a direct bolt in for a Stang, and 5 lug.

Can't say for sure what the rear end is or is not, or if it was installed as-is from the factory, or if someone installed/modified it post-production.

In the case of the stock rear ends for the early Mustangs with 6 cylinder engines, they had Spicer-type, integral, rears with a ring gear diameter of 7¼".

Some of the '75-'80 Granadas/Monarchs came with an integral-style rear end with an 8.7"ring gear. All of these 8.7" rears came with 5-lug axles.

Pre-'74 model axles will have a center register (the protrusion between the wheel studs) diameter of 2.42". From '74-up, the center register of the axle flanges will be 2.78".

This one , I'm 90% sure is the original for the car. I've seen enough to quickly tell when something's been swapped. The center "register" fits the O.E. wheels on the car and for sure, these aren't the later model's disc brake wheels. I've learned long ago to never say never when it comes to what Ford stuck in these cars. Just when you think you know what they used, you run across a curve ball like this.

This one , I'm 90% sure is the original for the car. I've seen enough to quickly tell when something's been swapped. The center "register" fits the O.E. wheels on the car and for sure, these aren't the later model's disc brake wheels. I've learned long ago to never say never when it comes to what Ford stuck in these cars. Just when you think you know what they used, you run across a curve ball like this.

Yep, with Ford, you never know what to expect other than to expect constant changes of components.

You wouldn't expect to find a 9-inch drum brake rear end under a Granada or Monarch powered by a 6 cylinder, but I have a 9-inch rear that came out of an '80 model Mercury Monarch that was powered by a 250 cu. in. 6 cylinder engine.

This is the 9-inch housing from the '80 Monarch that was powered by a 250 6 cylinder: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9398/monarch9inchncase002nw5.jpg

next time you get over there get some pics, i gotta see what ever this thing is, just to settle my own curiosity. it's also possible that someone swapped in the 5 lug axles to the stock rear i guess, i believe they were also 28 spline IIRC.

Yep, with Ford, you never know what to expect other than to expect constant changes of components.

You wouldn't expect to find a 9-inch drum brake rear end under a Granada or Monarch powered by a 6 cylinder, but I have a 9-inch rear that came out of an '80 model Mercury Monarch that was powered by a 250 cu. in. 6 cylinder engine.

This is the 9-inch housing from the '80 Monarch that was powered by a 250 6 cylinder: http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9398/monarch9inchncase002nw5.jpg
I ran across one of those a few months back in Houston. 1980 6 banger, 4dr Granada. I figured in 1980, Ford was using up inventory, that would be the last car and chance to get em out of the way for a 9". Guy bought the car on ebay, copper colored with a dark brown vinyl top, the seller was in Kentucky.