5 Lug Conversion

I have a stock 66 with and Inline so it has the stock 4 lug setup and drum brakes. I have seen the kits to convert the 4 lug to the 5 lug for modern wheels. Well I was also thinking about putting at least disc brakes up front and drop spindles possibly. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I should go about doing this? Do I put the conversion on and disc brakes at the same time. Is the kit universal between drums and discs? Any ideas would be appreciated.

CP

• Sponsors (?)

if you haven't seen this article already maybe it can answer some of your questions, I know you are not dropping in a V8 but in order for them to do so they had to convert to a 5 lug

1964-1966 Mustang In-Line Six V8 Swap
Convert That Six-Cylinder Mustang To V-8 Status
From the April, 2009 issue of Mustang & Fords
By Wayne Cook
Photography by Wayne Cook

1964-1966 Mustang In-Line Six V8 Swap - Mustang & Fords Magazine

allow me to regurgitate a few highlights:

A V-8 conversion starts at the suspension. These V-8-type spindles should be installed as a first step on any V-8 conversion. Don't try and get away with using the smaller six-cylinder spindles with the V-8 engine. It's not worth the risk.

Although the control arms are the same for both six-cylinder and eight-cylinder cars, the coil springs are different. Replace the whole front suspension with new hardware.

Five-lug wheels are needed for the V-8 suspension; as long as the five-lug conversion is needed why not convert to disc brakes in the process? The whole kit will bolt right onto the stock V-8 spindles, and you'll be adding a great deal to the operational safety of your car. You can buy this complete and excellent kit from Stainless Steel Brakes.

not sure if you have to toy with the steering, or keep your existing one

127_0412_veig_2_z.jpg

127_0412_veig_3_z.jpg

127_0412_veig_5_z.jpg

I have a stock 66 with and Inline so it has the stock 4 lug setup and drum brakes. I have seen the kits to convert the 4 lug to the 5 lug for modern wheels. Well I was also thinking about putting at least disc brakes up front and drop spindles possibly. Does anyone have any recommendations on how I should go about doing this? Do I put the conversion on and disc brakes at the same time. Is the kit universal between drums and discs? Any ideas would be appreciated.

First things first. Why are you doing this?

When I did a V8 conversion, my I6 spindle broke in less than 12 hours. Lucky I was right in front of my house going about 5mph. I have never seen so many sparks as my car slid across the pavement. The I6 spindle is much weaker.

Your question. The easiest is to get some spindles off a 70s granada. They bolt right up and you have disk brakes. You do have to change all your steering as the i6 is smaller. The tie rod ends will go right through the spindle. Next get a dual Master Cylinder for disk/drum. That is such an easy install.

Drop Spindles: I wouldnt do it. Look up the Shelby 1" drop. You drill 2 holes and relocate the lower control arms. You wont believe how much better your Mustang will handle with 0$ investment, only time. I did all this and finished off with 600lb drop springs and a big 1" sway bar. I go through these mountain passes like a new car.

If you have the cash, the kit above is surely awesome.

In high school, when my 65 was still an I6, I broke a spindle too. I have no idea how going through a dip in the road did that. It might have already been stressed at some point.

Adding front disc brakes is a great upgrade. I went with Granada stuff on mine, but the OE style setup is a good way to go too. There is really not much if anything to be gained by going to rear disc. The only reason I did, is because my Versailles rear end came with them factory.

Are you just doing all of this to fit wheels? If so, I would reconsider doing this. What is the car used for, daily driver, weekend cruiser etc?

I would not mess with drop spindles. I have 1 inch lowering springs on the front of mine and really like it. You can also do the Shelby drop like pony66 said.