5-lug Rims for a fox

• Sponsors (?)

To measure backspace, lay the rim on the surface that faces out. Lay a straight edge on the rim lip, and measure down to the mounting surface where the rim contacts the rotor. This number is the backspace in inches.

Offset is the distance the mounting surface is from the wheel centerline in MM. The wheel centerline is the exact middle of the rim from lip to lip, NOT the wheel width expressed in the wheel size.

Example: a 17 x 9" rim would have a measurement from lip to lip of 10".

So if a rim has an offset of 24mm:

Take the width of the rim lip to lip: 10" and divide it by 2 = 5"

That is the wheel centerline, 5" from one lip to the center of the wheel. Now, imagine the mounting surface is moved outward toward the front of the wheel .95" or +24mm.

(1" is 25.4mm)

Now you can see why some of the wheels in the FRPP catalog that are 9" wide have backspace between 5.95" and 6.42", depending on wheel design.

Not all wheels will look good on a Fox with the SN95 axles.

2002BLGT said:
if you are going to run bullits , take off the quad shocks and run 8 inch wheels and a 245-45-17 tire , if you go with a 275-40-17 you have to beat in the inner fender wells , I think a 9 inch wheel would be very close to rubbing ..........

No need to take your Quads off to run 245/45/17, nor is it a good idea to remove them.

marine_2003 said:
Whats wrong with these for the rear?

The axles that come in that kit will move the rim out 3/4" of an inch. This might not sound like much, but with the correct size tire on that rim, you will have rubbing problems, trust me I know.

Here is a pic of my car with R58 (or the same offset wheel you are looking at from Ebay) and the M-2300-K axles:
512479_20_full.jpg

I am only running a 245/45/17 tire on there. With the right sized tire, it would look like it is sticking out even further, and rub all over the place.

Decided to go with the 17x9's, in the ford racing catalog part number M-1007-R58 for the front and M-1007-m179 for the rear. What size tires would be best for these rims. Im doing BF goodrich Drag radials in the rear and proably the Kuhmo Ecsta Supra 712 in the front. Will the 245/45WR17 work on the front rims? And how about BFG g-force drag radials 275/40 17 for the rear?

im also looking at doing what was afformensioned...i really want the 10.5's with at least the 275. i am going the cheap route with the sn95 5 lug disk upgrade, and am just looing at getting the 95 cobra r's what would i need for offset to get the proper fit in the rear. i know the sn95 axles do make it a little more difficult but i got a very limited budget

Man, a 10.5" wheel is going to be tough. If you are on a limited budget, I would just get the 9" wheels. A 10.5" will not fit properly without major modification. For the rear of a Fox with SN95 axles, you need the 36mm rear wheel. 24mm for the front.

Shakerhood said:
I have the M-2300-K kit and I run Factory Ford Bullitts, not some knock offs with some strange backspacing. The car also has a Bullitt Suspension and is lowered about 3/4" and does not rub at all. Not the best Pic, but no rub front or rear!

http://www.corral.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Finished.jpg

ok so you have the rear disc , I am running ranger axles and drums out back so I had to take mine off and yes im running stock factory ford bullitts as well that came off my 2002 GT when I went to factory chrome bullits on it .....so I guess those wider axles on the disc setup make that much of a difference , mine might clear if I hammer in the housing of the quad shock but they definitely wouldnt clear when I had a 275-40-17 tire on the same rims ..........

ok...i got a deal on a set of 17x9s from a friend, gonna do some measurements on the spacing tonight. also, i can get a deal for 140 on some used 99' spindles w/hubs and the rotors with 02' two piston calipers. i know the spacing is different with the 96' + up spindles but could i still manage to get a 17x9 in the front without modification other than restricting my steering?

scratch that last comment, i got 95 v6 spindles located now for the same price. now is down to the rear end. i want to keep the stock track and not have to worry about the 3/4" on either side that gets added with sn95 axles. what should i get to get disk but still have stock track, everything off of the sn95 and just get a moser rear axle or a frpp axle to keep my track?

To keep stock track, you will need Ranger axles, and NorthCobra caliper brackets. www.northracecars.com/catalog/brakes/brakes.htm

From the SN95, get the calipers with the pad bracket that surrounds the pads. Get the rotors if you want to stay with the 10.5" rotors, or just buy new Cobra rotors, (this decision will need to be made before you order anything from North Cobra as you can get a bracket for stock or for Cobra rear brakes).

Ranger axles can be found in numerous junk yards, or just buy the FRPP kit, though it's a little pricey.

ok... i heard you need two of the same side or something like that for the ranger axles. also, on the fronts, i want to get the 02' calipers on there. that is just a bolt and go process? also do i need different lines for front and rear i think i can get the rears to work, but the fronts i dont know if the sizes are different