5 speed from 95 mustang?

ryan218

In just 10 years, I'll be old enough to drive!!!!
Dec 28, 2005
columbus ohio
how much of a difference is the transmission from a 95 mustang v6 compared to a foxbody t-5? for strength and gear ratio's?

my buddy who we are putting a sc motor into his sn95 has decided to go a different way with the project and the people who want to buy the mustang are making a road racer out of it...so with that being said there are a few things he dont need and wants us to take them off. one being the trans.

My buddy said if i want the transmission its mine for cheap!

my car is a DD so having a super duty transmission is not a huge concern as my car will not see huge hp numbers a long long time :(

so tell me info though!

• Sponsors (?)

You'll have to swap the input shaft since the fox body's is a bit shorter. Otherwise it'll be fine, I'm using a '97 V6 mustang's T5 on my '89 5.0 with a 200 shot and its been holding fine so far.

Here's the spec chart:
http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/transmission_spec.htm

plus the bearing retainer sleeve. i had one in my old coupe. works well, 1st gear is a little lower at 3.97 (iirc) so if you have like 4.10's, 1st gear will SUCK, but otherwise works the same and just fine.

plus the bearing retainer sleeve. i had one in my old coupe. works well, 1st gear is a little lower at 3.97 (iirc) so if you have like 4.10's, 1st gear will SUCK, but otherwise works the same and just fine.

Yeah I forgot to mention that. I was going to re-use my original retainer but the one on the '97 T5 was the steel version instead of aluminum. So, I just measured it and used a bandsaw to remove the difference from the newer retainer sleeve.

ryan218:
I think that the only ratio difference is that the overdrive is slightly taller (higher RPMs) but it's not a big difference. Just check the chart I linked and compare the ratios between the two transmissions.

And no, I don't have any vids of my car.

Yeah I forgot to mention that. I was going to re-use my original retainer but the one on the '97 T5 was the steel version instead of aluminum. So, I just measured it and used a bandsaw to remove the difference from the newer retainer sleeve.

And no, I don't have any vids of my car.

ok.

so to use a 95 v6 trans i need to swap the input shaft for a fox body input shaft and a fox bearing retainer sleeve?

this would be no big deal as i would have the trans rebuilt before i would put it in either way...

what dose a trans rebuild normally cost if the gears in in perfect shape? to have the syncro's replaced ect?

edit: yes i looked..just a little taller but nonthing drastic!

looks like im gonna start stock piling 5 speed swap parts soon then!!

Depends on who rebuilds it. For just a rebuild which is bearings and syncros, I charge $400. But you should expect to pay around $700 for a shop to do it.

:jaw: hm how hard is is to do yourself? for the first time doing this to a trans? damn maybe ill just have him sell that trans and buy a fox body t-5...damn that would of been such a good deal.

I think its something that should be attempted on your own after you have more mechanical experience. I've been rebuilding them for a couple years and now its easy, but the first one I did took me a long time.

You would be better off getting a fox t-5. 85-89 is rated at 265ft-lbs and the 90-93s are rated at 300ft-lbs. If you get a 94+ t-5 you'll end up spending about $70 for a new input shaft and $50 for a new steel input bearing retainer, on top of whatever it ends up costing you to have it rebuilt. Most shops will mark up those parts, and if you get the parts for them, they wont warranty the rebuild.

I personally wont use a T5 made earlier than 93 in my car because only 93+ have a synchronized reverse.

I think its something that should be attempted on your own after you have more mechanical experience. I've been rebuilding them for a couple years and now its easy, but the first one I did took me a long time.

You would be better off getting a fox t-5. 85-89 is rated at 265ft-lbs and the 90-93s are rated at 300ft-lbs. If you get a 94+ t-5 you'll end up spending about $70 for a new input shaft and $50 for a new steel input bearing retainer, on top of whatever it ends up costing you to have it rebuilt. Most shops will mark up those parts, and if you get the parts for them, they wont warranty the rebuild.

I personally wont use a T5 made earlier than 93 in my car because only 93+ have a synchronized reverse.

whats the plus of a synchronized reverse?

so finding a 5 speed from a 90-93 5.0 would be a better choice?

ehh, i just got a brand new t5 from Jegs and i still grind into reverse :'(. i didn't want to get a new one, but the only shop around me is a place called P&B transmissions - the guy wanted 1300 to rebuild my ****. when he told me over the phone i just started laughing and told him i'd be in with the brand new tranny that coming tuesday.

A T5 from jegs is not a new trans, its just a re manufactured one, so it is very likely you got one that doesn't have a synchronized reverse. It doesn't matter though, its just a nice feature of the 93+ ones.