5 speed swap???Worth it?

Juggalo95

May 27, 2007
Ok I got a 95 GTS aode car. Pretty clean 130k on it or so. Tranny is ok for now lol. I was wondering if theres a website that shows how to do the swap? Is it worth it? Is it gonna be a huge gain in say 1/4 times over the aode? My car is all stock except magnaflow mufflers and probably will be. Id just like to know exactly what parts would be needed to do this swap.

Maybe would I better to just put in a higher stall on the aode?

I sit in a lot of I 5 traffic on the way home and my legs are tired from painting cars all day so I kinda like the auto but if its worth the swap ill do it. I just really wanna research it before I decide

• Sponsors (?)

like urban96 said,the 5-speed is much more fun.for me,the aode was nothing but problems.the swap is pretty straight-forward.the only major modification is to widen the shifter hole on the trannsmission tunnel.it would be easier to find a parts car than buying peice's seperately. i can definetly feel that the car accelerate's much better.

Don't you also need a new driveshaft for the install, and new transmission manual mounts?

What years of a t-5 would fit our 94-95 cars? What would be the total cost of going from Automatic to Manual? if it wasn't done by a shop.

i've read that you can use the aode driveshaft.i did not reuse mine,i used the driveshaft that came off the parts car i had.tranny mount is the same for aode and 5 speed.you must use the 94-95 5.0 bellhousing,i belive.you can use the 95-95 GT and V6 T5 transmission, i think.you can also use the 96 and later V6 trans,but those have an electric speed sensor,ours are gear driven.

if my info is wrong,someone plese correct me:)

when i had my tranny rebuilt,i asked around at the locel transmission shops about the aode to T5 swap.with parts and labor,the prices were from $1900-$2300.my costs to do it myself were FREE:banana:i bought the parts car for $900. after i sold the motor,my old tranny,wheels,rear end,i was up quite a bit of money.

yeh I wont pay a tech to do it...im a auto tech well auto body tech but been to school for both...thanks for all the info...If I cant find the parts for cheap I may just put 4.1x ring and pinion instead to wake up the stock 5.0...would this probably be a better option on performance in the 1/4 vs the cost of a t5 swap(ie parts and my time)

Here's the thing, my Torque Converter is on it's last legs. If I can spend less that $600 dollars on a manual swap probably better. i'll check my local salvage, and auto yards to find one.

What kind of power can these t-5's handle BTW.

i've read that you can use the aode driveshaft.i did not reuse mine,i used the driveshaft that came off the parts car i had.tranny mount is the same for aode and 5 speed.you must use the 94-95 5.0 bellhousing,i belive.you can use the 95-95 GT and V6 T5 transmission, i think.you can also use the 96 and later V6 trans,but those have an electric speed sensor,ours are gear driven.

if my info is wrong,someone plese correct me:)

QUOTE]

if you use a foxbody trans you must use a fox bellhousing and the spacer i mentioned because the input shaft on the fox trans is about 5/8" shorter than the sn95. I think for pedals I paid 75 from ebay, t4mo computer from corral.net for 100, trans harness was 30 from ebay, drive shaft you can use the same but i went aluminum because of a good deal on it, didn't have the modify the cross member either. I'm sure i'm forgetting something but if i remember i'll post back.

I have had a AODE, T5 and a 4R70W in my car. My opinion is if you under 450 HP go with a stick over 450 an auto with a good stall 3200 min

I had a T5 from a 94/95 and always used the stock AODE drive shaft. With the 4R70w I used the stock AODE tail housing

So what's the max HP a t-5 can handle?
Widening the shift hole on the trans tunnel, what did you guys do to widen that, and was putting the clutch selenoid hard at all? What did you guys use for the cutting?
Any sites with a step by step on how to swap the transmissions?

to widen the shifter hole,use the lower shift boot as a template.carefully remove the rubber boot from the metal ring,line up the rear bolt holes of the ring with the rear bolt holes of the shifter hole on the trans tunnel.trace around the inner part of the ring and mark the position of the forward bolt holes.using metal snips,cut on the line you traced,then drill out the two forward bolt hole in the position you marked.

our cars use a cable operated clutch,not sure what you mean by solenoid.

So what's the max HP a t-5 can handle?
Widening the shift hole on the trans tunnel, what did you guys do to widen that, and was putting the clutch selenoid hard at all? What did you guys use for the cutting?
Any sites with a step by step on how to swap the transmissions?
My T5 lived a long time with 375 to 425 RWHP
It didn't like an estimated 500 to 525 much

I didn't have to do much widening of the hole I had to cut about 1 inch FWD (This was on a 94/95 T5)

clutch selenoid ? If you mean the petal assembly its not hard if you remove the drivers seat

Some other stuff you will need
Computer or chip from a 5 speed (MUST HAVE DON'T LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT)
T5 wiring harness
Clutch cable
Flywheel and bolts
Clutch assembly
Petal assembly
Starter plate
Shifter boots

AODE driveshaft worked fine

Ok, thanks for reply guys, im going to be looking for some tranny's at the car junk/salvage yards today.
Another Q: How would I determine if a transmission is in good shape when going to salvage/car junk yards?
Im hoping this project won't cost me more than $600, ebay seems to be selling the t-5 transmissions alone for about $300 including some world class (whatever the difference).