5-speed Tranny

xhatchetboyx

Jun 27, 2006
well...i was driving home last night and it felt like 3rd gear is getting pretty weak...lol. is a worn transmission repairable. i dont really wanna spend 2g's+ for a new tranny when i can just get the exact same car for 3gs or less...
about how hard you think it would be? and how much you think i could save if i just did it myself.
also does anyone know of any other models of cars i could maybe pull the tranny out fix it to my my lil fox? it's so rare to see a 5speed 4banger mustang around here...

• Sponsors (?)

A used transmission would be a lot cheaper than rebuilding yours, but they can be rebuilt.

What do you mean by "3rd gear is getting pretty weak?" That really doesn't tell me anything.

Anyway the only other vehicle besides a mustang that would have a truly "drop in" transmission would be one from an '83-86 Turbo Coupe....one from an '87-88 TC would work but you would have to use your bellhousing and swap over to a cable speedo drive & gear (TC's had electronic speedos and a gear with a different number of teeth)

A used transmission would be a lot cheaper than rebuilding yours, but they can be rebuilt.

What do you mean by "3rd gear is getting pretty weak?" That really doesn't tell me anything.

Anyway the only other vehicle besides a mustang that would have a truly "drop in" transmission would be one from an '83-86 Turbo Coupe....one from an '87-88 TC would work but you would have to use your bellhousing and swap over to a cable speedo drive & gear (TC's had electronic speedos and a gear with a different number of teeth)

well today i noticed an even LARGER malfunction. all my gears seem to have less horsepower. and it seems like it takes forever and a day to get through my gears. eep hopefully i can like look at it tomorrow and see if my coil pack and plugs and wires arent all fuxerd up....

i think it's off time...

ummm...i'm pretty sure my cousin (a.k.a. my 1 man Pit Crew) knows how to fix this problem.
but could someone go over with me what i would have to do to reset the timing?

gosh i wish i had more under the hood experience...my uncle and cousin are both mechanics...and **** even my dad was a mech...too bad he never around lol.
hm, but i sapose there are some advantages of being a computer nerd...lol