5 speed vs's automatic

• Sponsors (?)

mustangkid05 said:
what do you guys like better and why?....i like my 5 speed, because it seems alot faster then an auto, but i like autos for traffic and on hills and stuff like that

romaine
YA GONNA STAR A WAR U KNOW! I like them both, but stock, a manual is at least .1-.3 faster in the 1/4. Like my auto though and its reasonably quick for what it is. No track here as of 4-1-06 so Ill just have to wait to see what improvements with the headers and cams will make when it opens back up. Trying to get my trap in the 103-105 range in the 1/4.

I've seen this thread on stangnet alot :p

I've driven and owned both. The auto is more fun. Anyone can chirp into second, probably third too... but when my car kicks the back end out hard into second, ya thats freaking sweet. Plus theirs the whole not quite prepared neck jerking that you get with an auto that you never really feel with a 5spd, your always ready for it. Then theres always the fact that a modded auto will destroy a 5 speed at the track. Plus it makes for a good daily driver, although in some situations i've decided the 5 speed is actually better... such as having to stop for stop signs on the highway, i hate using the brakes, i always used to downshift until i was doing like 15 then start using the brakes, with the auto it just feels weird to be wearing the brake pads off.

Of course a 6 speed would be the best route.

5 speeds are fun as hell, thats why I wouldnt buy an auto Mustang as my first Mustang. 5 speeds are more efficient at putting down power, matenince is easier and cheaper as well. I like having full control over the car personally.

On the other hand, if it was a built auto with a nice big stall and a shift kit, that is one hell of a ride...

I like both. My first mustang
was an automatic and I swore I'd never get
a mustang with an auto again. So when
I bought my 2001 GT, made sure it was stick.
It is fun to drive,now, however, I think I want to
go back to automatics.
I like auto for the fact that they will destroy a stick car
off the line at a light. But it's nice to have the stick to
manipulate the gears to keep the rpms high when your
weaving in and out of traffic.

I have pretty much had all the combos in my mustangs. T5, T45, AOD, PA Super Comp AOD, TKO, T56 viper. I personally love manual transmissions for performance cars.

Automatics are nice when you want be lazy and just sit back and let vehicle do all the work, thats why my daily driver truck has one. Now if we are talking about a low 10sec mustang thats built for drag racing there would be a PA C4 in it.

I am in a unique position, in that i have a 5 speed and my friend has an automatic, both 2004s with almost the exact same mods. Lets just say that until we do the j-mod on his tranny, I win every race. His car cant even chirp 1-2 or 2-3, while mine can do it on brand new tires.

Duke309 said:
I am in a unique position, in that i have a 5 speed and my friend has an automatic, both 2004s with almost the exact same mods. Lets just say that until we do the j-mod on his tranny, I win every race. His car cant even chirp 1-2 or 2-3, while mine can do it on brand new tires.

My car stock could chirp 1-2 and some times 2-3. With the 4.10s I can chirp 1-2 and 2-3 easily. Then when I put the Mongoose kit on Ill be able to melt the tires off in what ever gear. :D

PlatinumDevil said:
I've seen this thread on stangnet alot :p

I've driven and owned both. The auto is more fun. Anyone can chirp into second, probably third too... but when my car kicks the back end out hard into second, ya thats freaking sweet. Plus theirs the whole not quite prepared neck jerking that you get with an auto that you never really feel with a 5spd, your always ready for it. Then theres always the fact that a modded auto will destroy a 5 speed at the track. Plus it makes for a good daily driver, although in some situations i've decided the 5 speed is actually better... such as having to stop for stop signs on the highway, i hate using the brakes, i always used to downshift until i was doing like 15 then start using the brakes, with the auto it just feels weird to be wearing the brake pads off.

Of course a 6 speed would be the best route.

yes, a built auto will decimate a stock manual at the track, once youre into the 11's or less. then again, you dont see brent rau (6 second eclipse), john shephard(7 second talon) or AMS Evo(9's for now) using automatics do you? they all use dogbox transmissions(not sure about ams though), IE they dont have to lift off the throttle or engage the clutch to bang the next gear. so now your equation looks like this.

Dogbox Manual>Built Auto>Stock Manual>slowmatic 4r70w

having a automatic 4r70w in my 94 tbird, even with the j-mod, is nothing compared to slamming gears in a 5spd.

and you people who use traffic as a con for a 5spd, ARE LAZY. i live in california, worst traffic in the world, and i have no problem. sure your leg might hurt, but it feels better once you find a break, drop it into 1st and lay rubber, bark 2nd, chirp 3rd and scream away. only time it remotely sucks is stop and go up a overpass, and even then id still rather have the manual.

let me run a automatic 2002 GT with the same mods, and i will decimate you. stock for stock auto's run slower, and until you mod the tranny(which costs more than slapping a short throw and good clutch on a manual and gains you less), there STILL isnt a benefit.

What's a dogbox? Never heard that term. You mean like a semi-automatic trans such as Lenco(drive) or Liberty? Those are for full on race cars anyway... But yeah I agree with auto drivers claiming clutch is "too hard" to use in traffic is BS... My dad is even that way now after not having a manual for 20 years :(