Attachments

• 100_0217.jpg
    100_0217.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_0217.jpg
    100_0217.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 121
Reactions: 1 users
I've seen my share of broken stock blocks.
It's really all about how you drive it.
Me personally, i build something to have fun with it.
Some guys actually build 500hp foxes and drive them like old ladies. Those are the ones that last. Although i see no point in building it in the first place.

High rpm will kill them too, not to the splitting point always, but enough to put the internals and clearances out of wack. That's why all the guys that claim it can be done on street car come here with their delusions of grandeur and never return to tell us how they made out.

Bottom line, pushing a stock block too far is expensive and you should always have a back up plan in the works.

the back up plan???
bareblock_zps712ca602.jpg

ooooh gime! i wish i went that way probably would have used the nos thats all setup ready to go ever since my stroker went in just short of a tune, rick thats funny you built my 331 afr 185 headed motor 6 years ago! shes still running great makes me not wanna get that nos tune

I've been around here long enough to see this story repeated many times. The very thing that makes the 5.0 block so lightweight is the thing that causes it to split. If you have serious aspirations (pardon the pun) buy a aftermarket block with 4 bolt mains and some meat in the webbing that supports the crankshaft.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure the benifit of running thread in plugs, but here in Florida a lot of people don't run antifreeze cause well it's Florida. The past few years we've had some below freezing weather. Being an ex tow truck driver I've seen a lot of blocks busted from freezing. One thing they all had in common is they still had their freezeplugs. A freeze plug hole is actually just a casting hole from when the block was manufactured. I'm pretty sure that's their only reason for being there. The most common motor you see busted from freezeing here is in boats. Most common is inboard with small blocks.