500+ rwhp + stock block = this

Discussion in '1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-' started by Rick 91GT, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Rick 91GT

Rick 91GT SN Certified Technician Site Sponsor

Albums:
    Correct the holes are only there to make the cast, they actually are cast plugs. The screw in thread will not pop out as easy of the coolant system gets pressurized to high so some of your race blocks have them also. I don't think they are a huge strength item but it could help a little. The alum race blocks like pictured above almost always have screw in plugs.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

2. lizardsman

lizardsman Member

Makes me think, I wonder if you could gain strength from the freeze plug openings. Time to call mythbusters.

3. madspeed

madspeed Colonel Mustard Mod Dude Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    yep, fill em with lead

4. 7991LXnSHO

7991LXnSHO Well-Known Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Not running antifreeze (or anticorrosion at the very least) is a dumb idea, especially if they also use tap water. I am sure I read the right combo raises the boiling point too. But "Expensive Anticorrosion Antiboil Antifreeze Wonder Stuff, but don't feed it to the dog or cat" is not so catchy of a name. Too many different metals will act like a battery and eat up the system!

5. lizardsman

lizardsman Member

Let the tech official catch you running antifreeze at the track and get banned for life. I like racing more than I mind putting a heat blanket on my motor on nasty nights. So yes, some tap water and purple ice works fine for me, and seems a smart idea seeing how I like running on the track.

6. Rick 91GT

Rick 91GT SN Certified Technician Site Sponsor

Albums:
    Yeah i always run distilled water and a bottle of engine ice in race setups...its hard not to put antifreeze in a street car and nearly all the street cars at the track have it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

7. 84Ttop

84Ttop They make new pistons every day, so why worry? SN Certified Technician Mod Dude

Tap water and Water Wetter here, The track guys would have killed me a few weeks ago if I was antifreeze and not water on the track...

8. srtthis

srtthis the guy doing it does every local racers rear end

straight water from the hose here... we put RV antifreeze in the motor during the winter if for some reason its together

9. lizardsman

lizardsman Member

My first time at the track an import blew a hose, after 4 hours they opened one lane. I did see an improvment with purple ice over straight water. Bout 10 degree different. But with the 4 core champion radiator heat is not an issue. Had to put a thermostat in cause I could drive almost 50 miles to worm and only be 130 or so on temp. I put a 160 in and she stays pretty much right there unless I hit a lot of traffic.

10. 7991LXnSHO

Showcase:
    Albums:
    [quote lizardsman, post: 8752444, member: 192471"]Let the tech official catch you running antifreeze at the track and get banned for life. I like racing more than I mind putting a heat blanket on my motor on nasty nights. So yes, some tap water and purple ice works fine for me, and seems a smart idea seeing how I like running on the track.[/quote]

You have different track rules down south. Last time I ran around here, it is a BIG overflow tank that is required.
    Some of your alluminum radiators just called. They begged for distilled water and threatened corrosion otherwise.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  11. 84Ttop

84Ttop They make new pistons every day, so why worry? SN Certified Technician Mod Dude

You have different track rules down south. Last time I ran around here, it is a BIG overflow tank that is required.
    Some of your alluminum radiators just called. They begged for distilled water and threatened corrosion otherwise.[/quote]

Concrete wall beat the corrosion to my radiator :rolleyes:

A5literMan, 7991LXnSHO and lizardsman like this.
  12. lizardsman

lizardsman Member

Concrete wall beat the corrosion to my radiator :rolleyes:[/quote]
    Bradenton requires an overflow tank and will ban for life if caught running antifreeze. It's Florida, we get like 2 cold nights a year. You go to work wearing 2 pairs of pants a sweater and jacket and come home wearing shorts and a t-shirt. I had a new ac put in the house last year. Once I finish my other home project I will insulate my garage get a new door and I can open the vent he put it. Then I'll have a climate controlled garage and never have to worry again.

13. 7991LXnSHO

Showcase:
    Albums:
    It's Florida, we get like 2 cold nights a year. You go to work wearing 2 pairs of pants a sweater and jacket and come home wearing shorts and a t-shirt.[/quote]

Two pairs of pants? What a whimp! Sounds like you're dressed up for a blizzard! It hits 45-50 deg here and the kids are in shorts and t-shirts in the spring hopping over the snow piles.

lizardsman likes this.
  14. FastDriver

FastDriver Mod Dude

Showcase:
    Albums:
    I'm adding this to the common questions thread and removing the sticky.

15. lizardsman

lizardsman Member

Two pairs of pants? What a whimp! Sounds like you're dressed up for a blizzard! It hits 45-50 deg here and the kids are in shorts and t-shirts in the spring hopping over the snow piles.[/quote]
    Yup I'm a wimp. But come to Florida when it hits below frezzingand it is 100% humidity. Your clothes freeze in minutes, iI used to ride a bike to work during winter, completely covered in ice in 20 min. Sold my bike and have no intentions on ever buying another one after that.

16. 7991LXnSHO

Showcase:
    Albums:
    To quote ET, " ouch!"

84Ttop likes this.