$500 Suspension

Cupid

Mar 30, 2006
Okay,
I have about 5 bills to do suspension work. I know I need to replace my rear springs and all my bushings. My question for you guys is what will give me the best bang for my buck when it comes to suspension kits. I have read like eleventybillion (yes, that's a word...) posts about Grab-a-Trak and others. I want to know, if you were starting with a 30 year old suspension, what would you do?

With $500 I'm obviously not trying to replace any control arms or other big ticket items, I just want a Stiff sport-like ride.

• Sponsors (?)

well for 500 bones you're going to be lacking a little. that would most likely only get you the rear springs, front springs. a poly bushing kit and some cheapo shock from autozone. if you need any steering parts like tie-rods or a gear box rebuild or any other suspension parts like ball joints and sway bars you're going to need to come up with some more ka-ching.

i would suggest that you do the shelby drop while you're at it since it basically free except for the price of a couple of drill bits.

bnickel said:
well for 500 bones you're going to be lacking a little. that would most likely only get you the rear springs, front springs. a poly bushing kit and some cheapo shock from autozone. if you need any steering parts like tie-rods or a gear box rebuild or any other suspension parts like ball joints and sway bars you're going to need to come up with some more ka-ching.

i would suggest that you do the shelby drop while you're at it since it basically free except for the price of a couple of drill bits.

Yeah, I knew to do the steering stuff would be out of the question, but hey...I can nudge tha wife to see what I could come up with.

Here are some options I was thinking about that would keep me around the $500 price range(well a little over:D )

Option 1:
Stock complete bushing kit
New leafs and coils
bigger FR Sway Bar

Option 2:
Grab-a-Trak
(worry about the bushings and tie rods later)

Option 3:
Partial Front End rebuild kit(The Paddock)
New leafs and coils
(get the sway bars later)

You will realize the biggest front suspension improvements from:
1) Upper control arm drop (Hey, its FREE!)
2) roller spring perches
3) strut rods with heim joint
4) 1" front sway bar

Other "needed" mods include Monte Carlo bar, Export Brace, gas shocks.

And of course, wide rims with wide sticky tires will make the biggest difference.

For the rear, a quality 4 or 5 leaf spring with poly busings. I would focus on the front before the rear end unless the car is sagging badly.

Up over $600 now...

Another quick question:

I've seen a lot of suspension kits that come with new upper/lower control arm assemblies. I originally just planned to remove them, change the bushings, paint 'em and slap 'em back in! Is there any benefits to changing these old arms to new stock arms? I assume that they don't get weak or anything like that after 37 years.:shrug: Doesn't see realistic to me.

Also, i'm going with a mid or reverse eye rear leaf. Mustangs Unl. Has a 4 leaf, 165 lb/in set for $170. Is it worth it? Or should I go with a 5 leaf, mid eye for $20 less?

Lastly, I want to do the shelby drop, but I haven't found clear cut directions on how to do it. Can somebody point me to where I can get directions and possibly pictures of the process. Thanks.

Price Creep

After doing this: :bang: for a few days, I decided, well actually I didn't have a choice, to beg for more $....

I got it from wifey so now my $500 suspension ended up being a $995 suspension from Mustang Plus. It was actually on sale for $825, but with the additional poly hangers, upgraded KYBs(gas), and full reverse 4-1/2" leafs....blah, blah, blah, you can see how the price creeped up on me.

Quick question:
I'm doing the Shelby Drop. With the 1-1/2" 620 rate springs, will I have to worry about anything? I guess i'm worried that the Shelby drop in addition to the 1-1/2" spring drop might be too much. :shrug: Haven't thought about which size wheel i'm going to use. It will either be a 17x7 or 15x7. Decisions, decisions...

List of goodies:
4 1/2 -Leaf Reverse Eye Leaf Springs
Coil Springs 1-1/2" 620 rate
1-1/8" Front Sway Bar Kit
¾" Rear Sway Bar Kit
Polyurethane Coil Spring Insulator Pads
Front & Rear Shock Absorbers KYB Gas-a-Just
Steel Shackles w/Poly Bushings
Full Upper Control Arms
Full Lower Control Arms
Spring Perches
Polyurethane Strut Rod Bushings
Inner & Outer Tie Rod Ends
Spring Perches

Cupid said:
List of goodies:
4 1/2 -Leaf Reverse Eye Leaf Springs
Coil Springs 1-1/2" 620 rate
1-1/8" Front Sway Bar Kit
¾" Rear Sway Bar Kit
Polyurethane Coil Spring Insulator Pads
Front & Rear Shock Absorbers KYB Gas-a-Just
Steel Shackles w/Poly Bushings
Full Upper Control Arms
Full Lower Control Arms
Spring Perches
Inner & Outer Tie Rod Ends
Spring Perches

Just FYI, it seems to be the general concensus that Strut Rod Bushings are best left as rubber, even if you upgrade all your other bushings to poly.