$500 to spend need some advice

00VERT GT

Jun 30, 2003
SW Florida
k i have $500 to play with i was thinking about springs the pro kit to be exact.
My local shop quoted me $450 for springs, install and alignment. Would this be the best way to spend my cash? This does NOT include shocks/struts which im' HOPING i won't really need. My other mods are listed below. Thanks in advance guys.

- Scott

• Sponsors (?)

i say go for the springs, install/alignment, it's a fair price, and you wont need shocks and struts right away, but you should get them in the close future :)

Pro-kit is around $225 and you can install them yourself in seconds.. I wouldn't pay that much for the installation if I were you..

Let's see to install new spring..

remove all the lugs,
remove wheel,
removie struts bolts,
remove abs sensor,
remove break lines,
carefully lower the rotor,
pull old spring out,
put in new spring,
lift the rotor back in place
reinstall everything else
bleed the break
repeat the above step for the other 3 wheels
take it for a ride!

not worth spending $200 for install

jeez i don't know about doing it myself. i do'nt have much confidence in myself...lol Yeah i know the price is kinda high but this guy is really good. And the midpipe thing...i'd do it but the pipe i want the Magnaflow X and with the new price hike im' not sure i could get it bought and installed for $500 This guy charged me $150 to install my cat-back, so i'm sure it would be the same for the X.

CottonBurnerz said:
Pro-kit is around $225 and you can install them yourself in seconds.. I wouldn't pay that much for the installation if I were you..

Let's see to install new spring..

remove all the lugs,
remove wheel,
removie struts bolts,
remove abs sensor,
remove break lines,
carefully lower the rotor,
pull old spring out,
put in new spring,
lift the rotor back in place
reinstall everything else
bleed the break
repeat the above step for the other 3 wheels
take it for a ride!

not worth spending $200 for install
Install in seconds, springs may be a basic install but it's still going to take some time, (at least a couple of hours if you know what your doing.) If your not good mechanically then spend the $200.00 and get the work done right the first time. It'll cost you more later to fix what wasn't done right the first time...

Of course everything takes time...

I too did not have any mechanical knowledge what-so-ever when I install the Longtube headers with my dad last thanksgiving. That "knowledge" has to start somewhere...

My dad gave me the "WTF?" face when I said I ordered everything and want to install them with him. Just take your time, follow the instruction and it will be fine.. those mechanics are human beings like you and me.

and btw, 150 for just catback install is very high.. I wish I could help you out in some way.. it's your money afterall.. use them wisely.. :)

Ok, a couple of comments here, first I paid $100 to have my catback welded in, so I think $150 just to have it installed is very high. Second note I installed my springs and shocks myself, ran into several unexpected complications (including getting my floor jack stuck under the car when lowering it with the new springs installed, DUH it barely cleared before lowering, my spring compressor bolt was too long so I had to trim it down, etc.) I also changed brake pads, installed offset steering rack bushings and a couple of other things, the project took about 12 hours spread over 2 days. If everything would have went smoothly I suspect it would be a 6 hour job. So if I had to do over again I would gladly pay $120

Ike

00VERT GT said:
Kenny how close to stock does your suspension setup feel? my biggest fear is the car feeling super rough.
Any time you lower your ride you will sacrifice some ride quality. It is a firm ride but not rough. The only time a feel it is rough is if I hit a big pothole. There's not alot of give, but the handling is so much better than stock an occasional bump doesn't bother me at all. What made a big difference was changing my stock shocks/struts. It really helped smooth out the ride over the stock shocks/struts. Plus my car looks so much better than it did before I dropped it. I have 18's on my car as well and it still feels really good.