5r55s For Fox

• Sponsors (?)

there is no swap kit that i know of, so you would be on your own mostly for the trans cross member. i think that can be solved though with the double hump adjustable cross member that ford sells/sold for the fox body. the trans from behind the 3.8 V6 is the one you want though, as the bell housing pattern is the same as the push rod 5.0. you will need the 164 tooth flexplate for the push rod 5.0, but the torque converter i believe bolts up. you will also need a stand alone electronic trans controller, i believe bauman sells one. you will also need the output yoke for the 5r trans, and you will need to modify your drive shaft as well.

there is no swap kit that i know of, so you would be on your own mostly for the trans cross member. i think that can be solved though with the double hump adjustable cross member that ford sells/sold for the fox body. the trans from behind the 3.8 V6 is the one you want though, as the bell housing pattern is the same as the push rod 5.0. you will need the 164 tooth flexplate for the push rod 5.0, but the torque converter i believe bolts up. you will also need a stand alone electronic trans controller, i believe bauman sells one. you will also need the output yoke for the 5r trans, and you will need to modify your drive shaft as well.
Sounds like a waste of time/extra cost prohibitive. Why not build an AOD or c4 for simplicity

Sounds like a waste of time/extra cost prohibitive. Why not build an AOD or c4 for simplicity
Have you ever been in a car w/ a 5R55 in it? That is one sweet trans. I have the little version in my Ranger (5R55w) and the low first, and close spaced ratio has that thing feeling waaay more powerful despite the 100 HP cold realityof the 4 cylinder in front of it.

I'm putting a 4R70W behind the 6 banger in my car. On one hand It requires everything the Rbohm outlined in his reply. But after doing some research, I can put a valve body modification kit in the trans and convert it over to full manual w/ OD/Converter lock-up controlled w/ a micro switch, and a pushbutton.

All that will only cost me is 225.00,....and a 4R70W is way more power capable than an AOD.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
i like the 4R70W also, but the allure of a 5spd automatic is there as well. i am sure that someone like silver fox or lentech is working on a non electronic valve body for the 5R trans, but sorting that bit a kit out is going to take a while. in the mean time, a good electronic trans controller will let you program the shift pattern that you want, be it a soft one for a daily driver, then switch to an aggressive mode for when you hit the track. but remember that anything we do to these cars is going to cost money. if you have a good C4, but still want an overdrive, you can do that too with the gear vendors overdrive unit, and you can split all the gears, which means six forward gears if you want. or you can go with a less expensive gear vendors knock off but you cant split the gears like the gear vendors unit can. the gear vendors unit runs come thing like $2500, the other tune about $1500, so that $500 electronic controller is looking pretty good compared to that.

Last edited: