5W-20 or 5W-30

I run whatever is on sale. 230K on my Explorer and countless other vehicles and counting. What brand/weight of oil you're running is not nearly as important as the quality of the filter you're using with it.

• Sponsors (?)

I run whatever is on sale. 230K on my Explorer and countless other vehicles and counting. What brand/weight of oil you're running is not nearly as important as the quality of the filter you're using with it.

So whats your favorite filter? I change brands alot as well..... the last 2
oil changes i went with Castrol Syntec 5w- 30. w/K&N filter
Once in my 99, during summer, (100 degrees plus every day) I ran some
Mobil 1 20w 50 and had no issues. It made the engine really quiet.....:D

So whats your favorite filter? I change brands alot as well..... the last 2
oil changes i went with Castrol Syntec 5w- 30. w/K&N filter
Once in my 99, during summer, (100 degrees plus every day) I ran some
Mobil 1 20w 50 and had no issues. It made the engine really quiet.....:D

I go with the Motorcraft filters for everything. I've flip flopped around before, but I've found the stock Ford filter seems to be as reliable and as quality as any. They're rated amongst the best of the bunch in any case.

Engine Oil Filter Study

Why did they switch? I have always understood that switching oils was a bad idea because they all use different additives. If they switched brands, than the different additives more and likely freed some of the gunk and carbon deposits already there and allowed them to move around. If they took that big a chance on changing oils when the other one was working, especially on a 600Hp ship engine, they they need to be hit in the head.

They switched because the company quit buying the mobil 1 because the castrol was cheaper.

And i said 6,000hp motors not 600. All im saying is what ive been told by professional ship engineers, mind you these are guys who have 4 year college degrees and or 20+ years working in an engine room of a ship, so im sure they know what they are talking about....ill be sure to tell them you think they need to be hit in the head