60 ft help

• Sponsors (?)

You should post up a lot more information about your car, year, tires(brand/psi), auto/5 speed, launch technique, density altitude, etc.

Then post the entire run, every number or scan the slips.

The biggest thing is more experience. Read up on how to launch your car for the mods you have. Ex: Rev up to 2-3k, modulate gas with letting out clutch to minimize wheelspin etc.

Also stickier tires / suspension upgrades will help but are worthless without experience.

hi guys today was my first time racing my old lady 04 gt it has bassani exhaust and cai i ran a 9.97 @ 73 mph my 60 ft was like 2 something any tips to improve my 60?

wow, not bad without experiance and no gear. im assuming thats in the 1/8th. my 97 npi at the time was best at [email protected]. that was last year tho i havent run it with the new pi motor yet. however i had a gear, good clutch. solid launch, exhaust and almost every bolt on imaginable. it was about 78deg that night, everything was perfect. also no power adder was used (turbo, s/c, nitrous) only bolt-ons. with some experiance and gears you too can see a lot better time then what youve got now.:nice:

Driver Mod is what you need. Go out on some old abondoned road, and practice launching. I had an 04 GT that was bone stock minus some weld in flowmasters. Still had stock gears, air silencer removed. Other than that bone stock. I was cutting 2.00 60ft's with that car and running 8.9x at 79 or 80mph in the 1/8th mile.

With that car, I was using a 400 tread wear tire (which is just a tipical street tire tread wear rate), lowering the tire pressure to around 15psi. Then I would do a good burnout. I was launching that car at 4000rpm. When staged, I would very slowly bring my clutch pedal up, as soon as the clutch started to engage, I would barely push it back down. At this point, as soon as you start to release the clutch pedal, it's going to start engaging. Now, you release the pedal like you are taking off on the street, except a little faster. The last part is something you will just have to work on. Every car is different. It wont take you long and you will have it figured out.

I know this tecnique works, because I had a 99Gt with an o/r H pipe, magnaflows, SCT SF3 tuner, and 3.73's and I was cutting 1.89 60ft's with a 245/45/17 STREET tire (200 tread wear tire) on bone stock suspension, even stock shocks and springs.

Also, what rpm are you shifting your car at? Just trying to get some info so I can help.

What track did ya go to in NC?

Seat time will teach you what you need to know. Pointers help, but being able to apply them is the important part.

If you're on street tires, and stock gears, launch around 3k. Slip the clutch JUST a little bit as your leaving and as soon as your rolling a few mph let it out the rest of the way very fast (but don't "pop" it out) and lay the gas to the floor.

Your shift points should be around 55-5600RPM as well.

The only concerning thing about your slip is your MPH. Unless you were shifting way early or way late, or taking your time down the track you should be running about 5mph faster. Heat and humidity affect E.T. and MPH too, so don't get too discouraged. It's likely it's just a combo of the three.

"burningrubber" What track did ya go to in NC?-im assuming your asking me? if so it would be the track in mooresville, mooresville reaceway.

now to stangstalx all the advise from others is great but; you have to figure it out on your own. what works for one may not work the other, however in my case i launched at 1500rpm to keep wheel spin to a minumum. i run street radials so burnouts are not necessary, its a waste of time and rubber. avoid going through the water box, do a test launch then stage. slip the cluch moderatly not too much, experiance is learned and youll need a new clutch before you learn how to correctly. now when you do decide to go with D/Rs youll want to do your burnout, but if you upgrade to a more solid clutch youll definitly want slip the clutch then to get goin, only because if you launch @2200-2500rpm theres a chance of snapping axles or input shaft in the tranny. just some more info and advise, but experiance is learned not taught.

oh ok yeaa its my girl car and i just got her into the racing world but she was scared something was going to break so i just took it threw there but shes comfortable now so next time it should be better so shift at 5500? i probably was shiftin early so slipping the clutch easing it out until it get rollin and then nail it.? and i was at northeast dragway hertford nc and what time should it be runing?

Like others have said, just more seat time and the times will improve.

What works best for me is to lower tire pressure to 20psi, avoid the water box do a very quick burnout just to knock the debris off. I usually launch anywhere from 1k-2k and slip the clutch (best way I can describe that is like leaving a stop sign and getting moving as quickly as possible w/o any tirespin) as soon as you have the car moving put ur foot through the floor.

I try to shift at 5800, some guys will say thats too much but its what gets me my best times. This is with street tires its all I have ever run with, my cars a DD and has most bolt ons minus LT's and no kind of suspension mods that would help at the track.

With doing that my pb is 8.7@81 with 1.90 60' on 245/45 street tire but I can usually keep my 60' under 2.0. Now ive got some meat out back with heavier wheels but havent been to the track again to see if it helped or hurt me lol.

Just go out and play w it, times will improve and you will find out what works best for you or just get some DR's heat em up and let it rip:nice: