$600 for a 1969 351W engine sound right?

EL1NOR

Apr 14, 2003
Hampstead, NH
I might be buying a 1969 351W longblock, from carb to oil pan for $600 with 63,000 original-documented miles on it out of a Ford Galaxie. Does this sound right? Does it sound like a good deal?

Because I know about the 69 blocks webbing, and it sounds like an amazing deal to me.

Thanks,
-Tim

• Sponsors (?)

?

EL1NOR said:
I might be buying a 1969 351W longblock, from carb to oil pan for $600 with 63,000 original-documented miles on it out of a Ford Galaxie. Does this sound right? Does it sound like a good deal?

Because I know about the 69 blocks webbing, and it sounds like an amazing deal to me.

Thanks,
-Tim
You may be able to buy a whole 69-70 parts car with a 351W in it for that much. It sounds a bit high to me. Then again I paid $200 for mine ftom top to bottom.

Good luch with your purchase and the new project.

It sounds about right to me for a complete, used, but running engine; a bit high if its just a rebuildable core or its been sitting for a while. I regularly see older 4 door Fords and Mercs sell for this kind of money, and that's for the entire car.

BTW, if it hasn't been running in a good while, seriously consider rebuilding it right from the start. Depending on how they're stored, motors that sit can have issues like rusted pistons, crank, cam, etc., which can casue more damage if the motor is run after sitting for a long time. And remember, it is a 35 year old motor now, even if it does have only 63k miles on it...

I spent 600 on a 351-M but it matched the build sheet for my car so it was worth a little more to me for that. But if you are just getting a windsor you can probally find a better deal than that.
David

Any recommendations on where to look?

The guy says that it turns over freely, but the gaskets definately need to be replaced. He says $600 firm.

I haven't been able to locate a good donor engine/block yet for my stroker project. I'm going to be doing a 408W.

Now that I've got you guys here, give me some advice...

Thanks,
-Tim

Ok, here's my thoughts... if the motor is out of the car already, that's worth something (no time spent extracting the damn thing, and you don't have the get the rest of the car towed off when it your done with it). But if it needs a rebuild, then it should be considered a core, which brings the price back down. $600 is still overpriced for a rebuildable core.

The way to think about it is to consider what you would actally be getting out of buying the motor. Do you plan on using any of the extra stuff like the intake, carb, distributor, valve covers, exhaust manifolds etc? Will you be using the original crank & rods? Do you plan on using the heads? If you said no to any of these, then subtract their value from the cost of the motor and you'll know what the motor is worth to you. Still worth $600? And when you compare the cost of disassembly, hot tank, machine work, etc., and cost of new components like a new block, rods, bearing caps, etc., (especially if you're going with new heads), and it may make more sense to just source stuff new. If you're starting from scratch and want a full on motor, look at some the crate motors, long blocks, or short blocks out there, like from FRP, PAW, Speedomotive, etc. This can actually save you money overall...

As for places to search for a rebuildable 351W, keep and eye on the paper, local free sales paper, and pick up a regional sales rag... I see viable motors in those on a regular basis, often pretty darn cheap.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice... I contacted him and he said that "in that case" he has a 69 351W he'll pull out of a cougar that has "seen some weather" for $300. I emailed him back asking what that included... ie: just the block, or full on motor. We'll see what he says. I guess what I'm really curious about is how much it will actually cost me to pay a machine shop to dip this block, clean it up, bore it .030 over, and clearance it for the 4.000" stroker crank...

Hmmm,
-Tim

Sounds like you really only need the block for your 408 Stroker. If you get a 351W long block, you can sell the 351W heads for a couple hundred (69 heads are desirable) bucks. Ebay usally has several 351W blocks up for bid. I just got a fully machined 351 last week from one of the auctions. I ended up saving a few bucks over having it done myself.

EL1NOR said:
Any recommendations on where to look?

The guy says that it turns over freely, but the gaskets definately need to be replaced. He says $600 firm.

I haven't been able to locate a good donor engine/block yet for my stroker project. I'm going to be doing a 408W.

Now that I've got you guys here, give me some advice...

Thanks,
-Tim

Are you only looking at 69's? There is some debate as to the validity that they have higher nickel content. D4xx and older from what I have read, are about equal. I have a 74 block getting done now so I hope I'm right. I got a complete motor for $100. Other than the short block, all I'm using is the front cover and misc. bolts. Alot of p/u used D4 blocks up to about 1977.

EL1NOR said:

Thanks,
-Tim

You only need the block for a stroker, unless you plan to reuse the heads. I almost bought a rebuildable 351 for 200 recently, but decided to go a different route. Would sound ok if you were just planning a freshening up of the engine. Hope this helps.

with any 351, unless plan on making 500+hp, I would not really look into the year of the block. The 69 is a little harder due to the fact the deck height is just a little bit off from most year blocks. Either way, just get a girdle for your 408 and you will be fine.

I personally think $600 is overpriced for what it is. If you just want a core, get a junkyard motor for $100 and give it to the builder as a core swap. I would look into a crate shortblock for a stroker project. Dont have to hassle with getting a motor, wondering its condition, if the block is useale as a core. Just get a CHP shortblock or DSS shortblock and be done. Its usually cheaper in the end to buy what you really wanted instead of piecing something together.

$600 sounds way over priced to me. I got my 69 block for $150 pan to carb, std bore, very little ware at all. Everything I know about 351w’s: 1969-1972 = 9.480 deck height 73+ = 9.503 deck height, its harder to get pistons for the 69-72 blocks because if you went exactly to zero deck of the current 9.48 height you would need a 1.774” compression height piston which most pistons are, but if you have to deck the block to clean it up any your pistons will stick out the top, you have to buy 1.736” or so deck height pistons so you can deck the block. The 69’s – 74’s I believe are all basically the same strength maybe a little bit better on the 69 I don’t really know. Since you are building a stroker, I figure most stroker kits fit this in their set up, but I really don’t know. I decided to go with the 69 any way because I want the little extra hp potential for my turbo project, I would have traded it for a roller block (94 – 96) in a second, but I got a good deal on a retrofit turbo cam just a few days ago so I’m happy now.

xoxbxfx said:
with any 351, unless plan on making 500+hp, I would not really look into the year of the block. The 69 is a little harder due to the fact the deck height is just a little bit off from most year blocks. Either way, just get a girdle for your 408 and you will be fine.

I personally think $600 is overpriced for what it is. If you just want a core, get a junkyard motor for $100 and give it to the builder as a core swap. I would look into a crate shortblock for a stroker project. Dont have to hassle with getting a motor, wondering its condition, if the block is useale as a core. Just get a CHP shortblock or DSS shortblock and be done. Its usually cheaper in the end to buy what you really wanted instead of piecing something together.

I agree, thats what I did but with DND. I did not stop at shortblock though, cause with the price of shortblock plus buying all of the parts that come on the long block and having to put it together, it was just as much money to have them do it.

I'm in luck, the same guy said instead that he'll sell me a 69 shortblock out of a cougar for $200, I live an hour and a half away so I can pick it up rather than pay shipping.

How does that sound? Sounds much better to me.... but I'm still heavily curious about an estimate for the machine shop work needed to stroke it to 408. Has anyone had a block stroked .030 over yet? I'm sure you have... what'd it cost and what did you have done?

Thanks for all the replies, this is helping me out in MANY different ways, I'm glad you're all here saving my a$$. :flag:

-Tim

OH! Lastly, about the roller cam blocks (I know.. the more recent years), what exactly is the main difference in how the roller cam works as opposed to whatever choice I may land on in my stroker? I don't think I have enough knowledge to properly decide between the 2... (actually 3 cam types).

THANKS! :nice:

Do you guys have links to those companies you mentioned earlier?? I don't know what DND, DSS, CHP, etc stands for. So I'm guessing with google.com I did find CHP (Coast High Performance) and was impressed that I can just buy their kit for $1399 with everything, including the victor jr. heads for my project.

Sweet...
-Tim

When i asked 400 for my '69 351W on here last year people were all over it even though it needed a re-ring but was in great shape otherwise... I decided I wanted to build it up some more and thought itd be nice to have it sitting there. 600 for a rebuilt engine might be good, but for anything less might be a bit of a stretch.

EL1NOR said:
Do you guys have links to those companies you mentioned earlier??
Check out www.speedomotive.com . Historically, they've had a good reputation with lots of press coverage over the years, but I've recently heard from someone who posts here that their customer service can be lousy. Still, their prices seem fair, and all short/long block prices include shipping to your nearest air terminal, so that can save you a bit too...

Also, if anyone is looking for just a straight up 351W, consider looking at www.karkraft.com ... They've got brand new 351W GT40 Lightning manufactured by Ford long blocks for $2900.