62mm...

SHOWTIME!!

May 14, 2008
Well, i have a chance right now at buying a new Turbonetic's 62mm turbo. All it comes with is the turbo, but i can buy it for $300. That seems cheap. Im just wondering how much it will end up costing me to get everything else. I plan on still going Twins, but i could just buy another 62mm when the time comes and just go twin 62's...

• Sponsors (?)

The head units are the cheap part. The real expense comes in getting a customer turbo header and all of the piping fabricated for your car. The aftermarket turbo kits are all much more expensive than the available superchager units. I would recommend staying away from that deal as well.

you will end up with a 62mm turbo, and it will proably never end up in your car. Hot side parts are the most time comsuming and expensive. Its not incredably hard to fab on up if you got the time and place. Basically modifying a set of FRPP shorty headers or even the ol cast iron manifolds. Which I'm pretty sure you could turn them around since the heads are reversaible on the 2v.

You don't need to spend $6,000 for a 2v turbo kit. Matter of fact, you don't even need to pull the exhaust manifolds.

What you do need is time, supplies, and the ability to weld. An aftermarket K-member/a-arms WILL make things easier, but is not "needed" unless your car is sitting low.

The hot side is the complicated part, like said above, but with some brains and elbow grease it is a do-able project by a competent wrencher with welding skills.

All you really need is a merge pipe running from the drivers side exhaust manifold, into the hotside piping coming from the passengers side exhaust manifold. Run it under (if using stock K), or through (aftermarket K) the K-member, and up into the engine bay with the turbo sitting between the front of the engine and radiator. Hot side done...

That eliminates the need for modifying exhaust manifolds, flipping the stockers (doubt it would work because of the lack of space under our hoods where the exhaust manifolds are), or buying/installing turbo manifolds... yadda yadda yadda.

I got really into looking into a DIY turbo setup for my car, but I am missing two things. Money, and a welder. Can't get a welder without money, so I am putting the idea on the back burner for right now as I have other stuff to stay ahead of $ wise than the car...:(

The reason i would need Twin 62's is because i want to have a 900+rwhp street car. Modular Mustang Racing just came out with a hot side kit for a T4 style turbo. It cost $1300 which is not bad. After the hot side i really wouldnt need a whole lot of stuff to get everything fabbed up. That 62mm for the time being should run pretty good at about 15psi.

The reason i would need Twin 62's is because i want to have a 900+rwhp street car. Modular Mustang Racing just came out with a hot side kit for a T4 style turbo. It cost $1300 which is not bad. After the hot side i really wouldnt need a whole lot of stuff to get everything fabbed up. That 62mm for the time being should run pretty good at about 15psi.
YEah, MMR is coming out with that hotside to work with stock manifolds soon as well. But that's for a single turbo. So you're going to go from a single 62 to twin 62's? and 900+rwhp? Sound a like a lot of money and power for a car that lives on the street where you cant really use it anyways.

When it goes Twins...it wont live on the streets. I think u miss understood me, i just want something that CAN be drove on the streets. Not something that's a daily driver. It wont have powersteering, A/C or a heater so it's not gonna be a DD by no means. If the suspension is set up right, u can get a 900rwhp car to hook on the street, that's what they make 28x10.50 Mickey Thompson ET Street's for...:nice:

IDK, the AMG Benz SL has over 740hp and a chit load of German engeneering behind it and it cant cone anywhere close to getting traction. It has a better weight distribution and more weight over its rear wheels.
It will be an awesome track car to be sure but if you even breath on the loud pedal it will put you into a highway barrier. Ask Hot331, I am sure 2001Sallen has had some depends moments in his "mere" 751 rwhp monster :rlaugh: