'64 project

poppyredstang

Jun 18, 2009
hey guys,
im new to this site. i just started a '64 1/2 project car. it has been rebuilt about ten years ago so it should just need some minor work to get the basics working. i tried to turn it over for the first time today. the cable from the solenoid to the starter got real hot and the solenoid started smoking. where do i go from here? do i need to replace the whole thing or is there some sort of test i can do to see what is actually wrong before i begin replacing?

• Sponsors (?)

hey guys,
im new to this site. i just started a '64 1/2 project car. it has been rebuilt about ten years ago so it should just need some minor work to get the basics working. i tried to turn it over for the first time today. the cable from the solenoid to the starter got real hot and the solenoid started smoking. where do i go from here? do i need to replace the whole thing or is there some sort of test i can do to see what is actually wrong before i begin replacing?

You have a short. My friend and I just dealt with a very similar issue and the culprit was the alternator. First clue was that the terminal that accepted the red wire from the starter was smoking. Turns out there was an internal short at the alternator. When we took it to pep boys they tested it and it failed immediately.

To manually check for shorts you'll need a voltmeter. Over any short circuit it'll read 'open', infinity or something like that.

I'd replace the solonoid first, see if that helps. Also get your starter and alternator (generator in your case, i suppose) tested. If none of that works, invest in a voltmeter and start crackin'.