65-66 front fender replacements- Do they fit?

sparx

Sep 2, 2009
My car has a poorly fitting replacement left front fender. It is out of whack at the front top, top adjacent to the windshield and does not line up with the bolt on holes behind the headlight. I don't want to mess with this fender.

I am planning to order a "original tool" fender from NPD.

Have you used any of these parts and where did you purchase from?
sparx

• Sponsors (?)

I have seen the original tool fenders at Glazier/Nolan, they swear by them.

AA4391.jpg

Yes the typical reproduction fenders are junk! There are a lot closer places to you to buy these original tooling fenders from. Start by checking Marti Auto in AZ and Johns Mustang Parts in TX.

Can I have your Fastback GT? Please?? Does not hurt to ask>...:nice: Good looking 2+2....

Thanks, but that's from the G/N site, my 66 is Wimbledon White. And doesn't look that good. That car was pretty horrible when they got it, I looked it over a few times while G/N was doing the job. Some body shop had put skins on the quarters, and used the whole thing, including the lip at the top. The welds musta been 1/4" thick. G/N replaced them with full repro quarters.

I had a 66 Fastback GT just like that that I bought in 67 with only 18K miles on it and kept it for about three years till I got married and start having kids. Man, got rid of that beauty for a station wagon.:shrug: It was bright red with black bucket seats, four speed manual, air, power brakes and manual steering and if I remember right it had the pony interior. That has been a while back. The wife and I had some good times in that car till she got pregnet and she wanted a station wagon so when the baby was born we traded it in on a "Station Wagon". The GT sold withen a week. How do I know? I drove by that car lot ever day to and from work. It too had the red lined tires and same wheels. :( Ouch, it still hurts after all these years.

Just wanted to share my experience with no-name repop fenders. Got 2 new ones for my 67 and they are total crap. It was a compromise on the gaps and all the holes that the headlight buckets had to bolt to needed to be reamed out. I had to yank, tug, pull, stretch and grunt to get them in some sort of presentable position. In the end, they looked decent from the side, but the top gap (between the cowl and fender) is wide enough to stick your pinky down in on both sides. If i had to do it over again, I would definatley hunt for originals or give the Ford Tooling a try.

Just wanted to share my experience with no-name repop fenders. Got 2 new ones for my 67 and they are total crap. It was a compromise on the gaps and all the holes that the headlight buckets had to bolt to needed to be reamed out. I had to yank, tug, pull, stretch and grunt to get them in some sort of presentable position. In the end, they looked decent from the side, but the top gap (between the cowl and fender) is wide enough to stick your pinky down in on both sides. If i had to do it over again, I would definatley hunt for originals or give the Ford Tooling a try.

That was exactly my experience on my 65'. Actually the fenders I used were Goodmarks which I had on hand for a different project that didn't materialize so they had been in my storage since 2000. They were considered the best available fender then, which was before the Ford tooling ones came out and they were being fazed out at the time.

I would save up my cash and spring for the Ford tooling ones as they seem to be the best overall value.

How'd you like those Goodmarks? I'm looking at a Goodmark Fender right now if I can't find an original, but I heard they're fitment is pretty good. Some guy emailed me to go to this Collision Parts Warehouse which I know of, and said why buy used fenders if you can buy a brand new OEM fender for 139. I told him thanks for looking out, but they're not OEM. haha

How'd you like those Goodmarks? I'm looking at a Goodmark Fender right now if I can't find an original, but I heard they're fitment is pretty good. Some guy emailed me to go to this Collision Parts Warehouse which I know of, and said why buy used fenders if you can buy a brand new OEM fender for 139. I told him thanks for looking out, but they're not OEM. haha

How do you know a fender is a "Goodmark"?

Ahh Gotcha. I base it off the description. Sometimes you can just go buy the pricing. For example. Some moron emailed me about buying a new fender as stated above in a couple post ago. how do I know it's not OEM? The website says aftermarket and for $139.00. it's DEFINITELY not an OEM. It may or may not be a good match where the bolts go in or the way it's made, but the material itself might not be the same such as thickness. After doing numerous studies and feedback, near OEM such as Ford Tooling, if the price is that expensive, you know you're getting the best product. Goodmark and Dynacorn from what I heard are probably the best repro parts you can get. For these 2 companies, I found them to be around $200. I did a lot of googling as well on these companies and don't seem to be any problems with them. I had someone from another forum tell me when I went to buy my rear GT valance, there was one which was $40 and the other was around 70-80 and the difference was the thickness of the metal, and of course I got the expensive one and it was a near match, but also near OEM thickness which is what I wanted. There's always a big debate on what is good, and what is not. Some people say this company is good, and others say no. I guess it's just a crap shoot if you get a repro, whether you'll have to put some muscle into your work to make it fit. I had to do some adjustments to the rear valance, but nothing that'll take me more than 2 hours to do.

I'm in the same boat as well, just like you. I mean my fender COULD be fixed, but I'd rather replace it and I found some places in LA who are selling an original, but I just don't want to drive 2 hours just to get a fender.

NPD says his lower priced fender fits fine, like he is going to admit they suck! :eek:

Anyway, they do sell original tooling for about 350.00 and the other is abut 150.00.

I will ask who makes it and if one of the two you mentioned I will go with that.

I call the guy that was linked about about his fenders, but no return call yet.

My fender is off in so many ways I can't see how I could correct it.
sparx