'65-'66 rear quarter extension ?

'66 coupe

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2000
Lakeland, Fl.
I just bought a pair of rear quarter extensions(the bolt on caps that go next to the taillights) off ebay to replace mine that are fitting funny. Well the right rear extension that I got doesn't have groves so that you can place a gasket on it, and apparently it never had one. Instead it appears that they were using rubber gromets on the screws to serve the purpose that the gaskets did.
Any idea what this is? I looked in my parts catalogues to see if perhaps it's a '64.5 piece, but all they're reproducing is '65-'66. So might this be a '64.5 piece? Or did I get an inferior 80's reproduction piece? It still has all the parts numbers and Fomoco emblem cast into the back, don't know if that matters. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I just bolted mine back on today ('65), I can't recall there being any gaskets there when they came off. To put them back on, I ran some Sikaflex around the holes and just used bolts and large washers instead of the original studs.

Just looking at the finished product I really should have done the bodywork with them on, but too late now - that'll have to wait until it's next paint job...

I just put mine on my '66 Coupe. They had the long gaskets that sealed everything off. Sounds like you possibly have a bad reproduction. How is the rest of the fit? The main thing in the function is keeping water out of the trunk area and getting the correct spacing between them and the fender.