65 GT Engine/car Mods?

65FBE2

Mar 8, 2007
Minnasnowta
OK, I got a great deal on a 65 GT Convert a few months ago. But it needs some work all around. The suspension is shot! The motor runs fine but needs to be freshened as it has bad blow by. I am planning the build for this winter and want some advice on the cam selection. I have decided to upgrade the suspension to RRS phase 1 and a RRS rack for better drivability and the reversability of the mods for resale, some distant year.

As long as the motor is out I would like to add more cam but drivability is the key. I was thinking about going to a FRPP roller with the retro lifter kit. Has anyone used this in an early block and would the E303 cam Idle with good vacuum?

Anyone got any Ideals for other worth while mods I would like to hear them as I am only in the planning stage. I do have the RRS stuff already though.

• Sponsors (?)

You don't want to go roller in a non roller block. At a minimum, it's going to cost you $600 for all the components to do it, then you're going to have to add machine work for screw in studs to replace the stock pressed in ones. The pressed in studs will work loose with the new cam. Better to just go with a mild RV type grind (204-220* duration @ .050 & less than .500 lift) All you'll need then is just the cam and lifters. Springs probably should be changed, but it's not a neccessity with a mild cam. The pressed in studs won't work loose either.

What I really want to know is if the E303 cam has a good idle with at least 15lbs vacuum. Andybody know for sure?
The reason for the roller in the old block is to get the best out of a 289 and keep the numbers matching block in the car. I am going to go with dealer installed options like cobra intake(F4B) and Tri-Ys. I want the car to look like it could have been in 1965 if someone had optioned it up at the dealer

If you want a roller with excellant vacuum, find a 94-2001 F4TE roller. These came in all the 94-2001 E & F 150's, and the 96-2001 Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0's. Smooth idle, high vacuum, pulls from idle to 6500 rpms. I run one with the same intake (Ford A321, is the latest version of the F4B) with a Holley 570 in my Ranger. Starts and idles with no choke at 25*F. Without a pump shot from the gas pedal. Specs are 256/266 Advertised duration, .445/.472 with 1.7 rockers.

It was for a couple days back in January this year.It's been colder in past years, down in the single digits. Really a fun combo to drive with the F4TE cam mine's backed with a Toploader 4 speed and 3.73 rear. I can melt the 275/60's out back on demand. Even with the 35 gallon gas tank in the rear of the bed plus the battery mounted next to it.