65 Mustang 289 Exhaust

Gardgriff24

Nov 3, 2016
Hi, just looking where the best place is to buy a complete exhaust system(headers included) for my 1965 mustang with a 289 motor. Wanting 2 1/2 inch mandrel bent pipe. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Summit racing is my favorite aftermarket dealer. Very good to work with especially for technical advice and returns. However there are many mustang suppliers to get what ever you need. CJpony parts, NPD (National Parts Depot), Mustangs unlimited etc.

Need help with my 65 mustang. I have a straight 6. Wanting to do some exhaust work. My current manifold can I install bigger piping? Can I go up to 2 1/2 inch pipe with my current manifold? Only 17 need help!

Need help with my 65 mustang. I have a straight 6. Wanting to do some exhaust work. My current manifold can I install bigger piping? Can I go up to 2 1/2 inch pipe with my current manifold? Only 17 need help!

If your using the original manifold then i dont thing youll be able to clamp that big of pipe to it.

Just curious why you would want to do that. You wont gain anything, it wont be worth the expense because at least part of it would have to be custom made and last it will probly sound awful.

What are you wanting to accomplish?
Better sound? More power? Is your exhaust system shot?

If your exhaust needs replacing then i personally would just go back stock but maybe upgrade the muffler. You cant improve the sound of a straight six very much without doing some engine mods like a performance cam and some head work.
If you are looking to just do some upgrades but not to go too radical then you might consider a Pertronix ignition module. This is a popular upgrade to replace the points in your distributor with an electronic module. No more trying to set the points.